Who installs the gas meter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just purchased a new property. It has a gas supply from the street but the meter has long since been removed / capped off.

Who provides the meter? Is it the energy suppliers or the plumber?

I will be having a complete c/h system installed Inc all rads and boiler & pipework.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
A bloke I know moved into a large property with a gas supply but no meter. I don’t know whether he bought a meter but he used the gas for about 12 years without paying a penny before moving out. He was compulsory purchased and the house had to be in good order before being demolished (?) so he got his son, a plumber/gas fitter to replace the boiler (or maybe just the burners/jets) with a calor gas one and left a tiny bottle there!

A bloke I know moved into a large property with a gas supply but no meter. I don’t know whether he bought a meter but he used the gas for about 12 years without paying a penny before moving out. He was compulsory purchased and the house had to be in good order before being demolished (?) so he got his son, a plumber/gas fitter to replace the boiler (or maybe just the burners/jets) with a calor gas one and left a tiny bottle there!
I had heard a similar one a few years back. Truth or urban myth? Who knows :)

once a meter is removed then if no new application within 2 years the service should be terminated outwith the property, but many slip through the net, with the amount of different suppliers these days many get missed

So, I need to get supply sorted and then get plumber in I guess?
I'll say it before they do... lol

No, you get the gas meter installed then an RGI to sort out the gas appliances.
A plumber is some fat guy wot deals with water pipes and ham sandwiches he found in the back of his van :)

A plumber is some fat guy wot deals with water pipes

A plumber deals with lead ( from the Latin plumbum ) pipes and roof flashings.

A chap of any size who deal with copper should be called an aeriser ( aeris is Latin for copper ).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back