Who installs the gas meter?

Have spoken to Wales & West as the energy network providers for the area. Apparently there is not any live pipework to the house. Surprisingly, only £500 inc vat to have the road dug up and the gas piped into the building.
Once piped in I THEN have to arrange with the energy supplies to come and fit the meter.
Obvs the plumber / gas engineer can install everything ahead of both of the above tasks and then connect and test the system afterwards. Bit of a faff but all doable of course.
Thanks for the tips everyone.

Sponsored Links
Several on-line line translation services give aeris as the Latin for Copper.

Going the other way ( Latin to English ) they translate both aeris and cuprum to copper

Sponsored Links
Several on-line line translation services give aeris as the Latin for Copper.

Going the other way ( Latin to English ) they translate both aeris and cuprum to copper
Copper is Cuprum, hence the atomic symbol CU

With the help of a Latin scholar I discover that

The Classical Latin term for copper before cuprum was introduced, was aes, genitive aeris. It may be so that the Latin aes for some reason (perhaps owing to the near-homonymy with aer, genitive aeris ‘air, mist’) became inadequate and had to be replaced by cuprum (< cuprium < Cupra).

This form widely spread over Europe and parts of Asia during the following centuries, as reflected in Old Norse koparr, Old English coper, copor, Icelandic, Nynorsk Norwegian kopar, Swedish koppar, Old High German kupfar (> German kupfer > Slovene dialectal kufer, kajkavian Croatian kufar), Kashubian kóper, Cymric copr, Gaelic cobbyr, Irish copar, Yiddish kopper, Finnish kupari. Kupari (a summer resort near Dubrovnik) is derived from kuparica ‘brick kiln’

Obvs the plumber / gas engineer can install everything ahead of both of the above tasks and then connect and test the system afterwards.

Yes. But the siting of the meter will need to be confirmed beforehand so that the installation pipework can be sized accordingly, to where it needs to run within the property and what appliance(s) it will be supplying.

Bernard, there are apparently a new book and webcasts about the Architect of your previous house about this time.

If I was to do work at the property with no gas supply then I would prefer to be called before any gas meter was fitted.

I went to a boiler where they had never been billed for gas because the address had somehow escaped from the supplier's listings.

Last edited:
With the help of a Latin scholar I discover that

The Classical Latin term for copper before cuprum was introduced, was aes, genitive aeris. It may be so that the Latin aes for some reason (perhaps owing to the near-homonymy with aer, genitive aeris ‘air, mist’) became inadequate and had to be replaced by cuprum (< cuprium < Cupra).

This form widely spread over Europe and parts of Asia during the following centuries, as reflected in Old Norse koparr, Old English coper, copor, Icelandic, Nynorsk Norwegian kopar, Swedish koppar, Old High German kupfar (> German kupfer > Slovene dialectal kufer, kajkavian Croatian kufar), Kashubian kóper, Cymric copr, Gaelic cobbyr, Irish copar, Yiddish kopper, Finnish kupari. Kupari (a summer resort near Dubrovnik) is derived from kuparica ‘brick kiln’
well Bernard without google , as a fluent Scottish Gael the word is Copar and not Cobbyr as you say

The source ( which was provided by a trusted acquaintance ) was a paper

2014 BULLETIN OF THE GEORGIAN NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES, vol. 8, no. 1, 2014

The Origin of Cuprum, Bakar and Var
Boris Hlebec Faculty of Philology, Belgrade University, Beograd, Serbia (Presented by Academy Member Thomas V. Gamkrelidze)

ABSTRACT. The present research has been stimulated by the recent discovery of the earliest copper treatment in the regions of Bulgaria and eastern Serbia, and its aim is to establish the origin of some copper terms, the relative or approximate dates of their emergence, and at least some directions of their spread. In this article we have focused on three terms, represented by Latin cuprum, Balkan bakar and the root *bar ~ var. © 2014 Bull. Georg. Natl. Acad. Sci.

I went to a boiler where they had never been billed for gas because the address had somehow escaped from the supplier's listings.
Presumably the longer the homeowner just leaves that unreported the more the courts will side with the supplier when they say "You owe us £x"?

Surprisingly they had made significant efforts to find someone to set up a supply account with. They said no body wanted to know!

They were selling the house and wanted it sold with a proper paid for gas supply!

I have no idea. Not my concern ( apart from wanting people to pay for their fuel and they wanted to pay! )

I was only there to repair their boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back