Who is responsible council or me?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A recent development near where I live was given approval by the planning department on the understanding that they, (the applicants) would improve the unmade and unadopted road leading to the site on completion of the project. The project was completed many months ago and nothing has been done to the road so I contacted the council to enquire about the situation. They informed me that I would have to register a complaint before they would send an inspector from the council to check. Surely its the councils responsibility to check if an applicant is abiding by the planning departments conditions, or am I being naive.

Sponsored Links
A recent development near where I live was given approval by the planning department on the understanding that they, (the applicants) would improve the unmade and unadopted road leading to the site on completion of the project. The project was completed many months ago and nothing has been done to the road so I contacted the council to enquire about the situation. They informed me that I would have to register a complaint before they would send an inspector from the council to check. Surely its the councils responsibility to check if an applicant is abiding by the planning departments conditions, or am I being naive.

They are short staffed so wont proactively create work for themselves.

You would like to think that planning officers would check on developments to conifm conditions have been complied with, but it doesnt surprise me they havent.

They are just stating their policy to you: nothing will be investigated unless you register a complaint.

So basically you are saying that I could apply for planning permission and once accepted ignore some or many of the conditions that applied. Does the same apply to building regs and if so if so who is responsible for the consequences if something goes wrong?

So basically you are saying that I could apply for planning permission and once accepted ignore some or many of the conditions that applied.
It depends on whether a section 106 has been applied as regards the road infrastructure...

Even then, it's not a given that the developer will actually do what has been specified...

Because it is a private agreement between the developer and the council - and 'money often talks' ;)

Sponsored Links
It depends on whether a section 106 has been applied as regards the road infrastructure...

Even then, it's not a given that the developer will actually do what has been specified...

Because it is a private agreement between the developer and the council - and 'money often talks' ;)

The council have put it in writing and the builders have confirmed that the would carry out the work. They, (the council) are saying that I must register my complaint in writing or else they would not look into it. Is this a case of do as we say, not as we do. Is there an ombudsman which I can refer this to?
PS What is section 106

So basically you are saying that I could apply for planning permission and once accepted ignore some or many of the conditions that applied. Does the same apply to building regs and if so if so who is responsible for the consequences if something goes wrong?

Planning: nobody checks anything after consent is granted, only if there is a complaint.

Building regs: you wont get the final cert unless all inspections are ok and any paperwork, like electrical certs are received.

ecause it is a private agreement between the developer and the council - and 'money often talks

I think you are getting confused with Spain or Greece.

UK planning depts could never be bribed :ROFLMAO:

Sponsored Links
Back