Who made this decision?

How come his brothers all have different surnames?

Because they are using shortened forms of their full name - we just assume that everybody follows the English format of given name/given name/family name. Even in western europe there are many different ways of contructing a full name.

Spain: given name, father's first family name, mother's first family name. Thus, José Luis Rodríguez Zapatero, former president of Spain, is the son of Juan Rodríguez and Purificación Zapatero.

Austria: Traditionalists still put the surname first, thus Anton Graswander will be referred to as der Graswander Anton.

Ireland: Traditionalists use the genitive form of their father's and grandfather's as surnames or sometimes other important relations. So Dairmuid, son of Séan and grandson of Séamus would be known as "Dairmud Sean Shéamuis".

Sponsored Links
I have just noticed that on the BBC sports Cricket website, even though there is plenty of room and abbreviations are not necessary, they use the following:

Eng, Aus, Ind, Sri, WI, NZ etc.

However, one, for some reason, is PKN.

Did they have a meeting to decide this or is the author just afraid of something he imagined?
Yes funny isn't it.

There are many abbreviated country names that have no rhyme or reason. Most use the first two letters but not all. Are you curious about these too or is it just Pakistan you have a problem with?

You know very well what I mean and you know why.

It is not standard definitions for the countries but the most obvious - except one.

I could not find it mentioned on the site but do you think the abbreviation for Afghanistan would be ANN or England should be EGD?

Sponsored Links
Yes. What about 'Niger' and 'Nigeria'?

There's a big Pakistani shop in Nottingham called Pak Foods. They sell food to the Pakistani community.
That's OK, as long as 'they' use the word. For us, it is considered racist.

Political correctness is alive and well in this country.

Last edited:
My only prejudice is against the stupid little person who, whilst using the first three letters of the other countries for brevity, came to one where they must have, purely for futile PC reasons, thought "My god, I can't do that" and invented a more confusing one.

Your link merely emphasises my point; did you look to see what the standard abbreviation is for Pakistan?

Your blanket support for such nonsense is no better than the standard racist responses.

And I pointed out that there is no continuity to abbreviations, period. Are you going to question why? Or will you just select those countries that fit your prejudiced views?

That list of abreviations contains a number of wierd choices not least
- UK is abreviated to GB / GBR

That list of abreviations contains a number of wierd choices not least
- UK is abreviated to GB / GBR
Hold on! I think I've worked it out, Newboy. It took some time and mental strain, but...

GB stands for Great Britain!

I can see how you were confused, though.

Sponsored Links
Back