Who to contact about damp?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

There's a patch of damp above my front door and I'm not sure who I should be contacting to get it looked at. Should I be speaking to a window fitter or plasterer or someone completely different? The door itself hasn't been changed in years.

Thanks

114476-3f9d9c0f199526c84937e9caf519a0e5.jpg

114475-2cc7f254809f86f8111914987c72142f.jpg

114473-8047da9f49e95fa4b7cc29632f463f3b.jpg

114472-314890ad6da91b37aa54b8086f34c959.jpg

#################
pictures C&P by mod

Don't know how you tried to add them but it didn't work

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Post a picture of the damp and the outside of your house.

It could be a faulty guttering joint.

Andy

Hi Bertieee, you're best bet is probably to contact a bricklayer - if it is truly rising damp this is caused by an issue with your damp course, which can be addressed by a bricky. Other trades may be able to resolve but that'd be my first port of call

Hope you get it sorted

Thanks for the replies - I rent the house out so I've only got a picture of the damp inside (I'm 400 miles away), however I've done a very basic sketch of a cross section showing where it is, along with the best photos I can find of the inside and out.

I did have the soffits / facias / gutters done in the summer (the photo shows the old ones, but they're similar just square and brown), but the damp appears to be set back from the gutters as the door itself is in a recess. I do know that to fit the new bits they took off one or two lines of roof tiles. I don't really know about roof construction, but is there something below the tiles that they could have disturbed that's lead to this happening? If it was something to do with the gutters themselves I'd have thought the damp would have been at the top of the door?

Sponsored Links
If you rent the house, then you call your landlord; then when he does nothing, you call a roofer, and tell the landlord that you'll be deducting the repairs from the rent.

Sorry Hertz, I'm dyslexic, and it's taken me three attempts before I've seen the "out" bit, and just saw the "I rent the house". Thanks for pointing it out politely.

If its important to you then, as suggested above, post pics of the inside and the outside.
Surely your tenant, or a local contact, could take a few snaps for you?

With the information available then the last person you want to call would be a bricklayer.

Your media could not be loaded.

the area of damp is a classic condensation area. probably you have bitumen felt 1f . have the fitters clad over soffit vents?..there isnt much else they could mess up...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back