Who uses rubber?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just been removing some tiles in the kitchen. They are stuck on with what looks like rubber (bitumen?). Is that a normal thing?

I have only ever used tile adhesive that looks like grout (sometimes one of the same).

Why would liquid rubber be used? the same walls also have wallpaper on and the 'rubber' is only under the tiles. The walls are not damp so that's not it.

It is very hard to remove anyway.

Sponsored Links
Just been removing some tiles in the kitchen. They are stuck on with what looks like rubber (bitumen?). Is that a normal thing?

I have only ever used tile adhesive that looks like grout (sometimes one of the same).

Why would liquid rubber be used? the same walls also have wallpaper on and the 'rubber' is only under the tiles. The walls are not damp so that's not it.

It is very hard to remove anyway.
Hi,
Are the tiles low down ? and is it a old house ? sounds like a bodge job.Lots of old houses i have done in the past have this all over the floor and up the walls a couple of feet,used as a waterproof sealant over concrete etc.If you are going to retile then simply make sure wall is flat (remove any rough bits of it) no need to remove all of it or prime walls as its waterproof then fix tiles with good pre mixed tub gear if small tiles (up to 300x300 ceramic) or self mix if large tiles or stone porc etc prob best to prime in this case as well.
Hope this helps :D

Fantastic Top. yes quite an old house - ex council too. Don't know who put the tiles up but I think it was after it was bought from the council. The tiles are between the top and bottom kitchen units above the worktop.

Good that I don't have to remove it all first then. I will prep it before the new tiles go up.

Mind you, I think the rubber is absorbing some of the impact from my hammer and chisel - and they are stuck on surprisingly well.

I am also using my SDS hammer with special tile chisel bit - that works well but makes a mess.

Fantastic Top. yes quite an old house - ex council too. Don't know who put the tiles up but I think it was after it was bought from the council. The tiles are between the top and bottom kitchen units above the worktop.

Good that I don't have to remove it all first then. I will prep it before the new tiles go up.

Mind you, I think the rubber is absorbing some of the impact from my hammer and chisel - and they are stuck on surprisingly well.

I am also using my SDS hammer with special tile chisel bit - that works well but makes a mess.
Hi,
sds makes a mess but def the way forward you will prob make more mess and be there forever using a hammer lol,worth putting in the time preping now the end result will be spot on and last for years.
Hope it all goes well :D

Sponsored Links
Ok, just got the last tile off and scraped as much rubber as I can from the walls. There are a few digs and holes in the plaster that I will have to fill before retiling but then I expected that.

The well bonded tiles were up to about half way round the 'U' and the SDS was needed in a few places. After that the hammer and chisel took most of each tile off relatively easily - still stuck on with 'rubber' but for some reason came away without too much effort.

Ok, just got the last tile off and scraped as much rubber as I can from the walls. There are a few digs and holes in the plaster that I will have to fill before retiling but then I expected that.

The well bonded tiles were up to about half way round the 'U' and the SDS was needed in a few places. After that the hammer and chisel took most of each tile off relatively easily - still stuck on with 'rubber' but for some reason came away without too much effort.
Hi,
well done :D make sure that all digs and holes you fill has prop dried before you tile if your using tub gear (pre mix) then check its self priming (most are) or if using bag gear (powder) you may have to prime the filled bits (where the rubber has come off) with a acrylic primer NOT PVA lol :D

Hi again lol,
Should of said as some of the black shi* is still on the walls i would only use bal brand adhesive (check product data on label/ask in supplier) as i know that it states on there data sheets that its fine to use over it ;) :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back