Whole House Audio/Video - House is already prewired

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm after some advice please. I bought a new build a year ago that has been pre-wired with cat5 cabling for A/V and I'd like to take advantage of it. Buying the house seriously dented my finances and I'm trying to see what can be done on a meager budget, maybe £1k to start, with another £1k later in the year and so until the system is complete.

I've been researching the options, but I'm completely out of my depth.

Ideally I'd like to start with video from sky, dvd and files from a pc/media centre and music from a cd, ipod and/or radio in a couple of rooms.

The builders (David Wilson) handed over details of the packages available from a company called http://www.systemline.co.uk/modular/index.htm which seem reasonable but are out of my reach atm - plus I'd like to find out what my other options are. The packages are as follows:

Bronze - single source audio in 5 rooms £3.5k
Silver - Six audio sources in 5 rooms £5k
Gold - Six audio/video sources in 5 rooms 6k - as an example includes: 5 speakers, 5 speakers with IR receiver, 4 remotes, 5 multisource keypad with IR receiver, 5 source connection module, 3 source connection module with IR output, 5 video output, 1 6 source 8 zone hub, 1 6 source 8 zone video hub

Ideally I'd like to connect up another room or two - but as the house is built, guess this would have to be i/r or wifi?

There's a big box under the stairs (not the most ideal location - but I guess I'm stuck with it - although there is prob 6ft extra cable so might be able to move it???) that has 25 cat5 cables in total. They're Emilex (Emilux?) EM02 E01 CAT5E 4PR UTP TIA/EIA 24 AWG IEC 832.1 - couldn't find anything about it on google ;)

labelled as a mixture of video, ipod, audio and speaker cables. With the wall plates containing various mixes of local, ipod, keypad, video, etc.

Apologies for the leeengthy post - any advice/ideas/pointers to a good website really appreciated.

Thanks...David

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back