whole house pump delay in water arriving when taps opened

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i recently had to drain down the cold supply to this pump to replace a leaking push fitting.
on re-filling there is something like 5 seconds delay before the water arrived under pressure while before it was instant.
im assuming its an air lock but if so how can i clear it.
also there's a non return valve on the cold feed from the pump, would that have anything to do with it?
the hot is working fine its just the cold which has the problem

any ideas appreciated

thanks

Sponsored Links
binguk, what is the pump description, model and serial number? is it flow switch or pressure switch operated?

do you get a flow imediatly when opening the tap or is the flow delayed?

non return valves in my oppinion are used to cover issues rather than cure and do caues a restiction so I would remove.

I would guess its either a flow switch issue with pump or not enough flow to activate the flow switch.

hi pumpman

thanks for the response

its a wickes 3 bar pump (not 5) but i cant seem to find it on the wickes site although this one is similar
http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/160404/?source=123_75#mm_description

at present the hot is instant but cold is delayed since being drained and refilled

the non return valve was fitted because water roll back was activating the pump intermittently when taps were turned off

it runs the taps on 2 bathrooms and one shower

im working away at present so cant give you the serial

thanks

Sponsored Links
OK if your able to remove the non return valve as they cause a restriction. remember its teh gravity flow of water that starts the pump so if the gravity is delayed the pump will be delayed.

Most commonly people think the water is delayed coz the pump has not started/delayed starting. (This is a commonly mistaken view).

Get serial number/part number to clarify or picture may also assist. Wicks will have a branded item made by another pump manufacturer I would guess.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back