Whole house pumping and secondary circulation .

HWSystem.gif

Try this. :D

Any clearer Doitall.??

Sponsored Links
So you're looking at a themal store now Bigburn??

What's the C=H sort of bit at the bottom?

You can 'Save As Type' html, bottom of the Save screen. I think Save for Web does the same, only used that once...

--

ChrisR wrote:
Water will go back through a regenerative or centrifugal pump if there's no check valve in it. The OP said "or similar", and they don't all have check valves.
name one that you can reverse the flow
Rumplestiltskin. Thats the name for the ST one in my shed which I have no trouble blowing through - backwards or forwards.
If you have one with a check valve in it simply put a low flow bypass round it. Not a big deal.

ChrisR wrote:
In the second drg the 2ndry circ pump would be pumping into a shut valve for the time the whp is on, but a bath will be full in a couple of minutes; too short a time to do any damage.
And if the check valve goes **** up as they do
1) Swing type on clean water more reliable than the pump
2) so what if it does
3) Pointless to raise it anyway - no system of bits will work properly if the bits pack up

ChrisR wrote:
DIA thinks it would pump into the loft tank for much the same reason he got it all wrong about pumping-over in a heating system. At his age, too!
Thats is your opinion, strange the manufacturers agreed with me that it was wrong
No, you got it wrong. Manufacturer wasn't involved.

ChrisR wrote:
You would restrict the flow to what you need, through the circ loop, but the higher flow with the whp on, would stir the hw cyl. You could of course put your essex flanges where you like, including at the same height.

Why/how will the WHP stir the cylinder, all it can do is take water from it.
Can't see what you're failing to understand here. If the pump circulates water through the cylinder, it has the effect of stirring the water in it. If all it could do was "take water from it" it would hardly be able to pressurise it to force water back into the cistern like you were claiming a paragraph or two ago.

Have seen a number of pump-and-circulate configurations cooked up, without the need for an unvented cylinder... :rolleyes:

So you're looking at a themal store now Bigburn??

Partly yes but at the end of the day it would be just an ordinary cylinder with an extra coil in the top . A small coil.
Just large enough to take out heat to keep the secondary loop warm.

What's the C=H sort of bit at the bottom?

Thats the salamander pump or could be any pump. The C and H represents the Cold and Hot sides of the pump. The cold pipework is left out for clarity.

You can 'Save As Type' html, bottom of the Save screen. I think Save for Web does the same, only used that once...

Thanks for the info on that. Havent quite mastered taking the picture direct from another program ,just through the scanner to photoimpact.
I was getting an error on photobucket when I tried to upload the image direct from my Quickcad program . It said something about the image not being a gif compatible image.

If you have one with a check valve in it simply put a low flow bypass round it. Not a big deal.

Some pumps have internal by-passes so the back flow could pass through that also. :D

Sponsored Links
Chris summed it up nicely when he said "have seen a number of pump-and- cirulate configurations cooked up (read Bodged) without the need for an unvented.

if Bigburn wants to make his own thermal store then fine it would work, the same way as pumping into an un-vented cylinder, although he would get a far better performance by sticking a plate heat exchanger to the side of the cylinder.

Thanks for the replys.
Any system can be a bodge in the hands of an unskilled tradesman.
I know your option Doitall is an accepted method and offers a good solution and you have no doubt experience with this.
Without goint to the trouble of having an extra coil fitted in the cylinder I would opt for ChrisR's solution in his first schematic.

Bigburn said:
Thanks for the replys.
Any system can be a bodge in the hands of an unskilled tradesman.
I know your option Doitall is an accepted method and offers a good solution and you have no doubt experience with this.
Without goint to the trouble of having an extra coil fitted in the cylinder I would opt for ChrisR's solution in his first schematic.

That why I said use a plate heat exchanger with the existing cylinder, it does the same job as the extra coil.

At the end of the day the choice is yours, if it doesn't work or goes toes up, there's always plan B,C and D.

Perhaps you should run the idea by Salamander or similar first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back