Whole house renovation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

currently having my 3 bed house completely re done and need some advice

1: In the hall way and kitchen we are having floor tiles, but in the lounge and dining room we are having kardene (sp) flooring. The house has floor boards so will both the tiler and the flooring fella both have to use the same depth ply wood?

2: We are having new skirting boards, arcatrevs (sp) frames and doors put in, but the decorator has said all of the wood used needs to be the same (i.e all oak, or all canadian pine etc) if not it will be hard to match the staining, is this true? Also, do any of you know of a good hard wood that I could use for all of this, but one that isnt too expensive? We are looking for a light beach finish. Is there a website I can look at for matching skirts, arcs, frames and doors?

3: Before the new kitchen goes in, we need to have the floor tiles in place, which also means tiling the hallway. The skirtinf boards in the hallway are being taken off soon but the decorator wont be round before the flooring goes in. Does it matter if the tiles in the hallway are laid and the walls behind the skirts are slighly damaged? The wall be fixed (if needed) when decorating and before skirts go on

Sponsored Links
newcomers said:
Hi,

currently having my 3 bed house completely re done and need some advice

1: In the hall way and kitchen we are having floor tiles, but in the lounge and dining room we are having kardene (sp) flooring. The house has floor boards so will both the tiler and the flooring fella both have to use the same depth ply wood? The tiles won't be the same thickness as the Karndean flooring, so if you want no differing levels then you'll need to use thicker ply under the Karndean than under the tiles. You need 12mm for the tiles.

2: We are having new skirting boards, arcatrevs (sp) frames and doors put in, but the decorator has said all of the wood used needs to be the same (i.e all oak, or all canadian pine etc) if not it will be hard to match the staining, is this true? Yes
Also, do any of you know of a good hard wood that I could use for all of this, but one that isnt too expensive? We are looking for a light beach finish. Is there a website I can look at for matching skirts, arcs, frames and doors? http://www.cwberry.com/ProductCat.aspx?TreeNodeId=5171d4a7-f403-41c8-9b40-f14b01919834

3: Before the new kitchen goes in, we need to have the floor tiles in place, which also means tiling the hallway. The skirtinf boards in the hallway are being taken off soon but the decorator wont be round before the flooring goes in. Does it matter if the tiles in the hallway are laid and the walls behind the skirts are slighly damaged? No, why would it matter if it's being covered up? The wall be fixed (if needed) when decorating and before skirts go on

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back