Who's enjoying it so far.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Just over a year ago we took on an allotment so this will be our second growing season. I think it’s going to be a godsend in this lockdown. No restrictions yet on allotments plus it’s a 30 odd minute walk from our house so we can get our exercise by walking the dog there, spend some time digging, weeding, planting or even just sitting in the sun on our deck chairs with a flask of tea. Beats sitting indoors. Virtually have the place to ourselves too as the majority of plot holders are over 70 and are staying indoors!

Don't expect too many strawberries first season Bodd - but next year you'll have loads!

Just over a year ago we took on an allotment so this will be our second growing season. I think it’s going to be a godsend in this lockdown. No restrictions yet on allotments plus it’s a 30 odd minute walk from our house so we can get our exercise by walking the dog there, spend some time digging, weeding, planting or even just sitting in the sun on our deck chairs with a flask of tea. Beats sitting indoors. Virtually have the place to ourselves too as the majority of plot holders are over 70 and are staying indoors!
If this shortage of food stuff carries on, a lot of stuff will get nicked from allotments. I do hope people's hard work isn't ruined by selfish tossers.

Don't expect too many strawberries first season Bodd - but next year you'll have loads!
That’s where I went wrong last year. I picked and ate mine but I read that you are supposed to not pick the first years crop. Asparagus is even worse - three years before they start producing. I’ve taken all my fruit out of the allotment this year - strawberries, raspberries, apple trees and the blueberries just never appeared. Just veg and herbs this year.

You can get strawberries on a tin

Princes are good and keep. For years.

:)

That’s where I went wrong last year. I picked and ate mine but I read that you are supposed to not pick the first years crop. Asparagus is even worse - three years before they start producing. I’ve taken all my fruit out of the allotment this year - strawberries, raspberries, apple trees and the blueberries just never appeared. Just veg and herbs this year.
I've never heard that with strawberries!
Shame over your raspberries, should've stuck with it. I put in 2 raspberry canes in 3 years ago and it only took a year for them to establish well. Now there's so so many every summer I don't know what to do with them. There's only so much jam needed in the house..! I think if you'd stuck with it, you'd have been ok.

Doesn't fruit require different sex plants in proximity or summat…? Probably applies to fruit trees and the like...?

Sponsored Links
Back