Whose idea was this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently bought a new laptop. When I shut down everything goes off as usual. When I open the lid it boots automatically into Win11. Is this another example of automation gone mad? More to the point, how can I disable it? Google says that it can only be done through the BIOS but surely there's a setting somewhere.

Sponsored Links
I recently bought a new laptop. When I shut down everything goes off as usual. When I open the lid it boots automatically into Win11. Is this another example of automation gone mad? More to the point, how can I disable it? Google says that it can only be done through the BIOS but surely there's a setting somewhere.

What would you rather it did, than boot into Win11?

Reckon it needs to be BIOS. Doubt there is another way without modifying the hardware, which will void warranty and could end in disaster.

Sponsored Links
Harry..I quite liked Win95! Pumps....I really can't understand why it's not in Power Settings as it's quite a big change.

Harry..I quite liked Win95! Pumps....I really can't understand why it's not in Power Settings as it's quite a big change.

Over the years, I would sometimes have more than one OS installed. I would run a utility called something like Dual Boot. It would show a boot menu, showing a choice of OS, before defaulting to one of the OS's after a few seconds. It worked rather well. I'm not sure W95 can be installed on the same HD as W11.

Something else you could do, is set the boot option in the BIOS - you can often optionally select - boot from HD, USB, or CD.

Thanks mcprinter, that link seems interesting. I was joking about Win95 by the way but I'm old enough to remember having to boot the OS from a 3.5" floppy disk. Was that Windows3? I could make a cup of tea and it was still loading when I'd drunk it!

Sorry, I am confused (my default state)... are you saying that if you tell the laptop to shut down (read: power down), it automatically boots if you open the lid?

I have never come across that. Is it possible that you are simply telling your laptop to "sleep" rather than shut down when you close the lid.

I have a batch shortcut icon on my home screen that I press to tell the laptop to hibernate because I am to lazy to go in to Start> Power> Hibernate. And I only do a complete shut down whenever updates need to be installed

It is called Hibernate.ink and contains the following command

%windir%\system32\shutdown.exe /h

Symptoms
The Power On Lid Open is a new feature that is introduced on some of the newer Dell computers.

Cause
When a user opens the notebook, the system will be awakened or power on automatically. A user might not like this feature and want to disable it.

Mine powers on even after a full shutdown. It's a feature of some post-2021 Lenovo, Dell and HP laptops, apparently. I'm fine with it waking after Sleep when I open the lid - that's been around for years. But starting up completely from scratch when opened is a step too far for me.

Sponsored Links
Back