Why 2 tanks in my loft?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a new property which has 2 huge eater tanks in the loft - each approx 8ft wide by 4ft deep. I've never seen 2 big tanks, only 1 big and 1 small.

I'd like to free up some space, is there any reason to have 2? Possibly water pressure related? (we are on a gravity system)

Sponsored Links
How large is your house? Is it in a rural area? As Dan mentions, how's the mains water pressure?

Sponsored Links
If the tanks are 8 feet long by 4 feet wide by 2 feet high, then if full the water in each one would weigh 1.8 tonnes, so 3.6 tonnes for two. That's quite a load on the joists.

If the tanks are 8 feet long by 4 feet wide by 2 feet high, then if full the water in each one would weigh 1.8 tonnes, so 3.6 tonnes for two. That's quite a load on the joists.

Just a guess. I'll go up and measure. The load is my concern too...

I went up to take a pic - I totally overestimated the size :oops: they are 60x60x130cm - so by my calculations hold about 0.5 Tons of water each...

If both tanks were full to the brim then your weight calculations would be correct - they won't be anywhere near full.

They sound like coffin tanks and are not unusual - restricted access to the loft being the usual reason for installation.

It's worth checking that (assuming they are inter-connected) that the connections allow both tanks to circulate their contents properly.

If both tanks were full to the brim then your weight calculations would be correct - they won't be anywhere near full.

They sound like coffin tanks and are not unusual - restricted access to the loft being the usual reason for installation.

It's worth checking that (assuming they are inter-connected) that the connections allow both tanks to circulate their contents properly.

Both tanks are full up to about 6 inches from the top. The tank at the back (you can't see it in this photo) has a water feed going in (assume from the mains) and this has a hole & pipe at the top that fills the next tank. There is also a third smaller tank up there too (assume an overflow tank). All of this is on various planks of wood - adding to the weight.

It's not above any wall either - I have read heavy tanks are usually placed above a supporting wall...

That said - I have been here 2 years and the previous occupants were here 15 so I assume it's legit!

Attachments

• 20170504_154157.jpg
    20170504_154157.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 108

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back