Why are CWSC black in colour?

Black plastic is cheaper to produce than white or coloured. That's what I was told.

Or was it because Henry Ford started production: "You can have any colour, so long as it's black".

Sponsored Links
Wow, yes, preventing light transmission in a loft. Have you ever climbed into a loft with no light in it and closed the hatch? You'll find there's no light there to be transmitted...

Except in those with roof lights. Or gable windows.

The clue is in the name, Cold Water Storage Cistern. This denotes that it is a cistern that is intended for storing cold water. There is no law that states it has to be installed in a loft. If it is not used for potable water, it doesn't have to be insulated, although most are insulated and most are installed in domestic lofts.

It is black to minimize light transmittance and the growth of algae and/or because black plastic is cheaper. I suspect black plastic costs more, since those 1,000 litre IBC containers are translucent plastic; it's probably a requirement of the relevant BS. It has nothing to do with heat transfer.

Have never come across a black one of these yet ;)
sect-grp-intro-pic.png

Sponsored Links
Terrywookfit, Mike Calvert DSO*, the first post war commander of the SAS Regt. was gay. He was "brave beyond belief" when leading his Chindits in attacking the Japanese, and was once stopped at gunpoint from returning into Japanese positions to recover the dead body of one of his men. So was Paddy Mayne DSO**, the greatest wartime SAS Regt. commander.
Many little "gay boys" know that they are gay from an early age, so do their loving parents. In 2012 why should the association of pink and gay be a matter for sniggering comment? If you feel justified, then go down the bars in Hereford or Poole and badmouth either of the above men amongst men.

Mike Calvert DSO*, the first post war commander of the SAS Regt. was gay.

Allegedly; more likely stitched up at the court martial by manipulated and withheld evidence. One of the German youths, many years later, was a given a German transcript of 'his' evidence and was horrified by what he read. He signed a statement that nothing of a homosexual nature ( for which Calvert was convicted) had taken place at the flat and that the youths had gone there to rob Calvert. While they were in prison (for robbing Calvert), they were questioned three times by British military police, who kept coming back to Calvert's alleged homosexuality.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/the-shaming-of-a-hero-1091460.html

So was Paddy Mayne DSO**, the greatest wartime SAS Regt. commander..

No evidence he was, SFAIK. The equal lack of any evidence that he was heterosexual is taken by some as proof that he was gay. Typical of many Ulstermen of that era, IMHO.

I've got a pink shirt.

Mind you, it was white until she-who-is-conned-into-thinking-she-is-being-obeyed washed it with her new red blouse.

Terrywookfit, Mike Calvert DSO*, the first post war commander of the SAS Regt. was gay. , then go down the bars in Hereford or Poole and badmouth either of the above men amongst men.
Don`t forget Lawrence of Arabia :idea: the first gay biker ( Brough Superior)

Don`t forget Lawrence of Arabia :idea: the first gay biker ( Brough Superior)

Quite likely; homosexual acts were a criminal offence so those who were that way inclined kept it quiet and so there is little or no evidence of their preferences.

Stephen Turing admitted to the police what he got up to and was pretty much crucified for it; well, chemically castrated. His contributions to the war effort, which had probably taken months or years off WW2, did remain secret and earned him no leniency.

It has nothing to do with plastic tanks, just someone misrepresenting history to suit their own agenda.

Historical fact, like legal evidence, is interpreted. Interpretation is not misrepresentation per se.There's a documentary account and other records of both Calvert and Mayne's activities.

There are also anecdotal accounts by people who knew both of these men, during the war and after. Others have talked to such surviving veterans.

I agree that "It has nothing to do with plastic tanks", so why the remark about "gay boys" in a DIY forum?

"Agenda"? I dont have one. But I do have a hope that children can be however they want to be, and still live happy and useful adult lives. For that i'm willing to challenge such nonsense remarks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back