Why are CWSC black in colour?

Sponsored Links
What colour would you like them to be?
Would you prefer Gay Boy Pink?

What colour would you like them to be?
Would you prefer Gay Boy Pink?
If that particular colour is available, I may know someone that would!
But can you get me one that is not black, as there is a reason they are black.
I know the advantages of them being plastic rather than the old metal ones, but the ones that are now manufactured are black, must be a reason for it.
If you don't know, you can now go back to your homophobic colour schemes!

This sounds like a question a college lecturer would ask! The space underneath a cwsc needs to be uninsulated to comply with regs to prevent freezing. As the colour black absorbs and holds heat i would suggest they are black in colour to prevent freezing....
hope this helps

Sponsored Links
This may or may not be the correct answer. But.
As an apprentice I was told it was to prevent light transmission ,to prevent Algal growth.

This sounds like a question a college lecturer would ask! The space underneath a cwsc needs to be uninsulated to comply with regs to prevent freezing. As the colour black absorbs and holds heat i would suggest they are black in colour to prevent freezing....
hope this helps

Borrocks!!! There goes my theory of why lagging sets ;) are used.

I thought a CSWS and the pipe work connecting to it within the loft space were all insulated to prevent both frost and undue warming!

As an apprentice I was told it was to prevent light transmission ,to prevent Algal growth.
This sounds logical, I have tried to do a little research. But not really come up with anything solid.
But I am aware that in some countries that harvest rainwater, they don't use translucent or light-coloured cisterns/tanks and also paint them which offers UV protection.

Asbestos oneswhere grey perhaps they thought dying them black would be dangerous to health ;)

+1. That's also why MDPE pipe for use below ground is blue, but above ground it is, or should be, black.

Wow, yes, preventing light transmission in a loft. Have you ever climbed into a loft with no light in it and closed the hatch? You'll find there's no light there to be transmitted...

I don't have an actual answer to your question though, other than that CWSCs are also available in blue plastic

Simples. The places where they are manufactured also make other items in various colours. The sprues (bits of plastic left from the injection moulding process) are ground up and mixed with black pigment and used to make all sorts of things that don't require virgin plastic.
(11 yrs working in the plastics industry) ;) ;) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back