Why are the radiators hot when the centrel heating is off?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've noticed recently that the house was getting a bit warm and was surprised to find the radiators were hot even though the central heating is turned off in the airing cupboard!!!

Any ideas how this mght be?

Cheers

Simon

Sponsored Links
You have a frost stat that overrides the programmer and some one has altered the temp setting or it has failed in the closed position.

Sponsored Links
Forget the frost stat, take a look in your airing cupboard, there might be a motorised valve in there, normally brass bodied with a metal box on top. If there is one then this is the component that is faulty.

Forget the frost stat, take a look in your airing cupboard, there might be a motorised valve in there, normally brass bodied with a metal box on top. If there is one then this is the component that is faulty.

Yep - but that was brand new last year!!

Bugger!

Does the heating come on when H/W is selected or does it come on when the whole system is nominally off. If the former I'd check your motorised valve(s) first. If the latter look for a frost stat. Could be anywhere, but should be in a cooler part of the house - unheated vestibule, exposed bedroom, loft even. Bear in mind that you might not have one , though.

If you've got one of these it's pretty much guaranteed to be the problem. They're so bad Screwfix are practically giving them away now.

Does the heating come on when H/W is selected or does it come on when the whole system is nominally off. If the former I'd check your motorised valve(s) first. If the latter look for a frost stat. Could be anywhere, but should be in a cooler part of the house - unheated vestibule, exposed bedroom, loft even. Bear in mind that you might not have one , though.

Yes! In the airing cupboard is a timer with two switches - one for hw and one for ch. ch is turned to off during the summer but recently the radiators have still been coming on. If I turn them both off then it's ok (but the hot water runs out!).

Thanks for all the info folks - I'm going to have to wait for my plumber to come back off holiday I think :(

Google 'motorised valve' on a Google image search

Do you have one of these inyour airing cupboard or anywhere else inthe house?

Kind of irrelevent really, as you will need a Plumber anyway to swap it over.

Seeing as the OP described his pump as a 'big thing' I wouldn't rule out the motorised valve actually being a 3 port :LOL:

Ha, Kev edited before I got in there :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back