Why are there two wires attached to my gas meter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering why I have two earth wires attached to my gas meter. The long one goes to the CU and the other connects the gas inlet and a pipe that goes to the front of the house. So I seem to have two pipes after the meter which serve different areas - is that normal?

Attachments

• 20190903_104246.jpg
    20190903_104246.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 153
  • 20190903_104246.jpg
    20190903_104246.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 147
Sponsored Links
Just wondering why I have two earth wires attached to my gas meter.
Firstly, they are not earth wires, they are bonding wires which equalise potential(voltage) between differently already earthed metal entering the property and they are not connected to the meter.

The long one goes to the CU and the other connects the gas inlet and a pipe that goes to the front of the house.
They connect the pipes to the earth of the electrical installation.
The pipes are likely already connected together by their joint so the short piece might not be necessary.
Also, the supply pipe should be bonded as well, although this is likely already connected to the others by the joints.

So I seem to have two pipes after the meter which serve different areas - is that normal?
Yes, more normal in the past before copper pipes were used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back