earthing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Situation bit long I'm affraid but help is needed.
I have an outhouse with fridge freezer/washing machine/tumble dryer and one light.
It has a two way CU fed from the main house CU by a 10mm T&E two fuses one for light and one for the white goods mentioned. It also has hot and cold water fed from the house.

A while ago BG moved my gas meter from inside to outside the main house [Plastic Pipe] but did not connect a new earth to the new gas pipe downstream of the meter feeding boiler and gas cooker.
Can I connect a 10mm earthing cable to CU in the outhouse or run it all the way round the house [very long run] or can I bond it to to the old disgarded steel gas pipe left in place.
All pipes in the house are bonded and bonded and to the inlet water copper pipe.
Billboy

Sponsored Links
A while ago BG moved my gas meter from inside to outside the main house [Plastic Pipe] but did not connect a new earth to the new gas pipe downstream of the meter feeding boiler and gas cooker.
That was not an earth; it was "main bonding" which was required because the metal gas pipe was in contact with the ground.
As you now have a plastic pipe the bonding is not required.

Can I connect a 10mm earthing cable to CU in the outhouse or run it all the way round the house [very long run] or can I bond it to to the old disgarded steel gas pipe left in place.
All pipes in the house are bonded and bonded and to the inlet water copper pipe.
Not 100% clear what you mean, but if the old gas pipe is still touchable at the same time as other electrical items, then connect it to the old pipe.

If not, don't bother.

Billboy
If this 10mm cable is to bond the gas pipes after the plastic ones you do not need to do it.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back