Why are we planning to weaken our data laws?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Cummings is at it again. Irrespective of your party affiliation there will be zero benefit to weakening data protection.

Anyone who has such a hard on for tech doesn't understand its limitations.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...s-data-law-shake-up-a-danger-to-trade-says-eu

A radical “pro-tech” plan championed by Dominic Cummings to rewrite Britain’s data protection laws is endangering future cooperation with the EU worth billions to the British economy, Brussels has warned.

The government’s newly published national data strategy, promising a “transformation” long sought by Boris Johnson’s chief adviser and the former Vote Leave director, has sparked concern at a sensitive time with the continued flow of data between the UK and EU member states in question.

Sponsored Links
Cummings is at it again. Irrespective of your party affiliation there will be zero benefit to weakening data protection.

Anyone who has such a hard on for tech doesn't understand its limitations.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...s-data-law-shake-up-a-danger-to-trade-says-eu

A radical “pro-tech” plan championed by Dominic Cummings to rewrite Britain’s data protection laws is endangering future cooperation with the EU worth billions to the British economy, Brussels has warned.

The government’s newly published national data strategy, promising a “transformation” long sought by Boris Johnson’s chief adviser and the former Vote Leave director, has sparked concern at a sensitive time with the continued flow of data between the UK and EU member states in question.

1. Consumers in the UK were not pushing for GDPR
2. Its real easy to bypass using hashing and difference techniques as found in any decent DMP
3. it will create jobs in the UK and enable the UK to take tech-spend from silicon valley.
4. The objection is about where high techs will locate their data and their subs.
5. They are worried Frankfurt, Dublin and Amsterdam will lose vital data processing contracts.

1. Consumers in the UK were not pushing for GDPR
2. Its real easy to bypass using hashing and difference techniques as found in any decent DMP
3. it will create jobs in the UK and enable the UK to take tech-spend from silicon valley.
4. The objection is about where high techs will locate their data and their subs.
5. They are worried Frankfurt, Dublin and Amsterdam will lose vital data processing contracts.

1. So Consumers are versed in the intricacies of data privacy? That's weak.
2. Bypass GDPR? You are obligated to protect the data of EU Citizens if you manage their data. Hashing is a one way function so what relevance does that have?
3. So lower standards - might as well set up in Africa then with that logic.
4. The issue is about how they will share this data.

1. consumers don't care that they are the product. they accept the ts and cs without reading them, because they want the free app. that's their choice.
2. GDPR goes beyond data protection, it covers processing too. DMPs get round the requirement very easily because each party signs off their own obligations. Its the unification of the data that brings the power. Techniques avoid the need to process the data as personal data. The benefits are the same.
3. alignment with the global power houses, doesn't mean lower standards
4. Its about control of the tech firms and who is willing to make themselves attractive partners. The EU would like to control the big techs. Some EU members are secretly courting them with incentives.

But the threat is really the EU trying to make sure that any post Brexit agility the UK may have doesn't weaken its attempt to take on corporate America. its not about consumers data.

Sponsored Links
Innocuous word that really means deregulation.

No it doesn't Notchy, I checked.

agility
[əˈdʒɪlɪti]
NOUN
  1. ability to move quickly and easily.
    "though he was without formal training as dancer or athlete, his physical agility was inexhaustible"
    • ability to think and understand quickly.
      "games teach hand–eye coordination, mental agility, and alertness"

So we have lower data standards -but I can access those lower data standards by having my team sitting on the other side of the world - I can run my servers wherever I choose. I can comply with the local data standards / requirements - I wouldn't need to base staff in the region with lower standards just because of that.

This is simply a free pass to remove responsibility sold under the guise of creating jobs and companies. Deregulation is another zombie idea like trickle down effect.

That’s not how data sovereignty works. The laws apply to the data subject not the processing location. The U.K. has given a vague warning that post brexit, U.K. data may not be eligible for locating in the E.U. That has already seen a massive growth in the big cloud services hosted in slough as companies move from Dublin and Amsterdam. Dublin used to be Microsoft’s main DC due to low tax. That’s changing.

Deregulation is another zombie idea like trickle down effect

Both benefit the rich Capitalists at the expense of the general public.

Brexit weakens the UK considerably so the only way to compete is to become a tax haven with deregulated banking and manufacturing.

London is already a money laundering capital, that will only increase.

The EU are making long term plans to move Euro clearing out of London

That’s not how data sovereignty works. The laws apply to the data subject not the processing location. The U.K. has given a vague warning that post brexit, U.K. data may not be eligible for locating in the E.U. That has already seen a massive growth in the big cloud services hosted in slough as companies move from Dublin and Amsterdam. Dublin used to be Microsoft’s main DC due to low tax. That’s changing.
Depends what data you're talking about, location and the processor can both be major factors.

Crashing out of GDPR would be horrific. Every organisation in the EU would suddenly not be sure if they could use a British company until the situation is clarified. I saw how much trouble adding in third country data management contracts were when GDPR came in, it took months for a lot of orgs. That was when there was plenty of notice and clear guidance.

Depends what data you're talking about, location and the processor can both be major factors.

Crashing out of GDPR would be horrific. Every organisation in the EU would suddenly not be sure if they could use a British company until the situation is clarified. I saw how much trouble adding in third country data management contracts were when GDPR came in, it took months for a lot of orgs. That was when there was plenty of notice and clear guidance.

Kinda looks like that is highly likely. And the government have been giving us guidance on this for over a year. It’s why everyone is moving their data out of E.U. DCs. US firms have managed fairly well. Patriot Act and CLOUD act are fairy incompatible with E.U. law.

Last edited:
Kinda looks like that is highly likely. And the government have been giving us guidance on this for over a year. It’s why everyone is moving their data out of E.U. DCs. US firms have managed fairly well. Patriot Act and CLOUD act are fairy incompatible with E.U. law.
I'm not worried about our data going elsewhere, more the EUs data having to flood out of our systems and our IT staff being dropped like hot rocks. Our service industry is pretty good, we sell a lot of IT services to the EU, but if we can't be used anymore then that's a big deal.

Just two big bullies slogging it out. If we play our cards right we will be king makers.

Sponsored Links
Back