Why are we planning to weaken our data laws?

I'm not worried about our data going elsewhere, more the EUs data having to flood out of our systems and our IT staff being dropped like hot rocks. Our service industry is pretty good, we sell a lot of IT services to the EU, but if we can't be used anymore then that's a big deal.

Don't you worry we will be the worst of all worlds. We are like Scrappy Doo - "Lemme at 'em!"

They want unfettered use of private data so they can target you more and turn you into a zombie to continually vote against your self interests.

Who needs healthcare? Why should I have to pay for someone elses medicines. (Yet they cant see how health insurance is exactly the same principle)

Sponsored Links
Everything the govt does is bad apparently, even when you don’t know anything about what they are planning and have no idea of the industry or legislation currently in place or planed. That’s the summary.

Everything the govt does is bad apparently, even when you don’t know anything about what they are planning and have no idea of the industry or legislation currently in place or planed. That’s the summary.
Everything this government does is driven by self interest.

Anything they are planning to do is driven by greed.

Sponsored Links
Any weakening of our data protection laws at short notice is incredibly risky for no immediate benefit. It can gain zero benefit, because we won't be positioned to use the data in a more profitable way and it can only endanger our exports.

But it does seem that the government wants to do everything they can to scare the EU into signing something they haven't done due diligence on. Apparently that's the new thing for international treaties.

Any weakening of our data protection laws at short notice is incredibly risky for no immediate benefit. It can gain zero benefit, because we won't be positioned to use the data in a more profitable way and it can only endanger our exports.

So, you're saying the govt are deliberately lowering data protection laws in an attempt to reduce both profits and exports.

I'm missing something here, why would we do that?

So, you're saying the govt are deliberately lowering data protection laws in an attempt to reduce both profits and exports.

I'm missing something here, why would we do that?
I suspect it's a negotiating tactic. We threaten to wreck everything then at the last minute come back with something less horrific and hope the EU cave in relief.

But Brexit isn't profit/prosperity led, a lot of Brexiters are happy to accept short term losses in the hope there will be long term profit. This might be just one of those examples.

If we wanted to get some of the US companies data centers here, where the controls are weaker than the EU but latency is better than the US that might make sense. But you don't build a data center in two months, nor would that market switch over quickly. Nor would the legal framework to support it exist.

The data centres are already here. I don’t think this is a negotiation tactic. Many of the controls haven’t brought any value and certainly cost business money.

GDPR disrupted everyone.

The data centres are already here. I don’t think this is a negotiation tactic. Many of the controls haven’t brought any value and certainly cost business money.

GDPR disrupted everyone.
Not enough of them and not big enough. They can't scale up that much instantly. Covid-19 proved that, and I'd be surprised if there isn't still a shortage of physical hardware now.

I'm quite close to this, its extremely competitive. The infrastructure is growing and the investment and kit already there. Are you familiar with what exists in Equinix, slough? You have 5 mega players all with substantially under utilised infrastructure. The cloud model means less kit is needed, its why HP, DELL and IBM have seen plummeting hardware revenues.

I'm quite close to this, its extremely competitive. The infrastructure is growing and the investment and kit already there. Are you familiar with what exists in Equinix, slough? You have 5 mega players all with substantially under utilised infrastructure. The cloud model means less kit is needed, its why HP, DELL and IBM have seen plummeting hardware revenues.
Not closely, I'm closer to the delivery side where Microsoft and other cloud players were struggling to supply demand at the start of Covid-19.

At least MS don't allow you to move data center, you have to rebuild from scratch. Those sort of shifts aren't quick, faster than doing it with physical tin but not 2 months on a maybe.

Also, five major providers? There's only three major players globally. More if you include China but I'm really hoping were not going to drop our laws that far.

Last edited:

I took a little drive around Slough Trading Estate last year. Massive server buildings going up and more to come as they bulldoze the old manufacturing units. Sadly they're not big employers by the looks of it, often less than ten cars in the car park.
I did hear one of them had armed guards but I didn't see any evidence of that, security is high on all of them.

I took a little drive around Slough Trading Estate last year. Massive server buildings going up and more to come as they bulldoze the old manufacturing units. Sadly they're not big employers by the looks of it, often less than ten cars in the car park.
I did hear one of them had armed guards but I didn't see any evidence of that, security is high on all of them.
Yup, the idea is to remove as much human labour as possible. Microsoft had a test server crate they dropped onto the sea bed for two years. Apparently it worked better than having it above ground, more stable temperature and less wear and tear on the machines running in a low oxygen environment.

Microsoft had a test server crate they dropped onto the sea bed for two years. Apparently it worked better than having it above ground, more stable temperature and less wear and tear on the machines running in a low oxygen environment.

How did the butty van get down there every day though, is what I'd like to know.....:whistle:

Sponsored Links
Back