Why are we planning to weaken our data laws?

Sponsored Links
No it's a huge loss of security knowledge.

European arrest warrant too

Yes, a huge loss of security intelligence to Europe. Apart from GCHQ, MI5 and MI6 the 'Five Eyes' is a pretty solid intelligence exchange, that's why some years back Germany (filly, you've been told, don't mention ze germans) we're keen on joining, didn't make the grade though.

It's not like they have homogenous products - GCP provides better support for Kubernetes and it's why we moved from AWS. Yet AWS KMS is one of the best around. It is swings and roundabouts. BTW - Oracle Cloud is a non starter.

Can you list any unicorn that uses Oracle, IBM etc for their cloud services?

why would a private equity held company be the bench mark of anything? I can think of plenty of big firms who use them. Many rebadging it as their own.

If you go to their websites I’m sure you can find them.

the point is - cloud is a big, competitive market, lots of players, lots of money and lots of countries trying to protect their DC tech investment. They do not want UK data moving from Dublin to slough but its happening. Other than the nordics, most EU firms keep their data on the mainland.

you cannot change the laws of physics when it comes to latency.

all the big and small players have switched to London

Last edited:
why would a private equity held company be the bench mark of anything? I can think of plenty of big firms who use them. Many rebadging it as their own.

If you go to their websites I’m sure you can find them.

the point is - cloud is a big, competitive market, lots of players, lots of money and lots of countries trying to protect their DC tech investment. They do not want UK data moving from Dublin to slough but its happening. Other than the nordics, most EU firms keep their data on the mainland.

you cannot change the laws of physics when it comes to latency.

You miss the point. Not sure why you think they are PE investors - they are VCs. Unicorns are newly established companie do not have the baggage of legacy systems which Oracle and IBM thrive off which you prove by referencing larger companies using IBM and Oracle as they are tied into their service offerings.

Also Oracle is more of a SAAS player than IAAS or PAAS. Who is rebadging Oracle SAAS as their own? Or are you talking about hosted private clouds?

Sponsored Links
Why don’t you start a thread about the merits of different cloud providers? I’m sure nobody will be interested.

Yes, a huge loss of security intelligence to Europe. Apart from GCHQ, MI5 and MI6 the 'Five Eyes' is a pretty solid intelligence exchange, that's why some years back Germany (filly, you've been told, don't mention ze germans) we're keen on joining, didn't make the grade though.
Yes I'm glad you mentioned MI5

'There is no upside' for UK's national security after Brexit, former head of MI5 says
Lord Evans says it is 'absolutely vital' for Britain's security to maintain ties to Europol and EU nations

Lizzie Dearden
Security Correspondent
@lizziedearden
Wednesday 30 October 2019 20:14

Seems like Fillyboy thinks he knows better than a head of MI5

UK hardly make use of Europol

"An EU-wide database that is used by British police 539 million times every year is among the “vital” tools against crime and terrorism that could be lost after Brexit, officials have warned"

"An EU-wide database that is used by British police 539 million times every year is among the “vital” tools against crime and terrorism that could be lost after Brexit, officials have warned"

I don't know where you get your information Notch, but if you're seriously trying to tell me that the old plod access an EU database nearly 1.5 million times a day, you need to give your head a shake. A handful of plod are making more computer enquiries everyday at a rate of double the number of trades executed on the London Stock Exchange, they must have really really fast fingers.

That's almost as good as your claim the EU has signed over 700 trade deals.

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

I don't know where you get your information Notch, but if you're seriously trying to tell me that the old plod access an EU database nearly 1.5 million times a day, you need to give your head a shake. A handful of plod are making more computer enquiries everyday at a rate of double the number of trades executed on the London Stock Exchange, they must have really really fast fingers.

That's almost as good as your claim the EU has signed over 700 trade deals.

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Less than 20,000 crimes per day in the UK, and for that we have to access Europes computers 1.5 million times per day, are you sure Notch?

we have to access Europes computers 1.5 million times per day, are you sure Notch?

I dont have to be sure.

the National Police Chiefs Council (NPCC), confirms that Law inforcement officers accessed Europes computers 539 million times a year

The tools at risk include:

• Schengen Information System (SISII) - an EU wide IT system that enables member states to share real time information about wanted or missing people. Law enforcement officers in the UK accessed this database 539 million times in 2017.

• European Arrest Warrant (EAW) - a framework that facilitates the extradition of individuals between EU member states to face prosecution. In 2017/18 over 1,400 people were arrested on EAW in the UK and around 180 were returned to the UK.

• European Criminal Records Information System (ECRIS) - ECRIS enables member states to exchange information about criminal convictions. Currently criminal record checks with member states take six days on average, whereas the average outside the EU is 66 days.

• Europol - Europol is an agency that supports cooperation between member states enabling information sharing and joint operations. The UK is a significant contributor to Europol sharing over 47,000 messages in 2017 and has supported over 130 investigation teams.

that's more than once for every person who lives in the zone. Given 40% have never been abroad, that sounds like a check is made every time, every person travels. Doesn't sound like a specific search to me.

I dont have to be sure.

the National Police Chiefs Council (NPCC), confirms that Law inforcement officers accessed Europes computers 539 million times a year

The tools at risk include:

• Schengen Information System (SISII) - an EU wide IT system that enables member states to share real time information about wanted or missing people. Law enforcement officers in the UK accessed this database 539 million times in 2017.

• European Arrest Warrant (EAW) - a framework that facilitates the extradition of individuals between EU member states to face prosecution. In 2017/18 over 1,400 people were arrested on EAW in the UK and around 180 were returned to the UK.

• European Criminal Records Information System (ECRIS) - ECRIS enables member states to exchange information about criminal convictions. Currently criminal record checks with member states take six days on average, whereas the average outside the EU is 66 days.

• Europol - Europol is an agency that supports cooperation between member states enabling information sharing and joint operations. The UK is a significant contributor to Europol sharing over 47,000 messages in 2017 and has supported over 130 investigation teams.

There are currently 5.8 million crimes a year in England and Wales. (ons.gov.uk), that works out to 15,890 crimes per day.
Forgetting for a moment that the vast majority of these crimes would have been perpetrated by UK Nationals.

Why would the UK police need to access Europols computer 1.5 million times per day?

that's more than once for every person who lives in the zone. Given 40% have never been abroad, that sounds like a check is made every time, every person travels. Doesn't sound like a specific search to me.

my guess it involves many many searches using different search criteria for the same person.
We talking about criminals, probably with aliases, probably searches for the same person but using slightly different name spelling.

It's considerately more than the population of the UK

Sponsored Links
Back