Why aren't internal stud walls insulated?

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just looked at the wall between ensuite and bedroom in loft conversion. No insulation. The building plans say just stud and plasterboard.

Why is this? Surely rooms should be insulated - not only against internal sound but also heat? It is no wonder so many new homes are so noisy!

I am not sure if I am worrying too much about my build or not ...

IMG_20151024_111810711.jpg

Sponsored Links
By all means stick some in if you want....I guess sound insulation is more valuable than heat transfer here.
John :)

Might just put a fitted wardrobe on that wall instead....

It is important to stuff the cavities on internal walls with glass fibre, just to deaden the sound. In my MIL's bungalow, you can hear what going on in the toilet in the kitchen, through two closed doors and 12' of hallway !
Frank

Sponsored Links
There is no requirement by the Building Regulations that a partition that separates an ensuite and its bedroom be insulated.

Only an internal partition separating a separate bathroom and a bedroom would need to be insulated. So if you want your s insulating, which would be good practice, it would be an extra. If you ask for the upgrade, insist on a proper sound insulation quilt such as Crown Acoustic Partition Roll not just some rockwool as it's a lot denser.

• Thanks
Reactions: JP_
Can Crown Acoustic Partition Roll be wrapped around extractor fan tubing and waste pipes? Just had the extractor fan on the downstairs bathroom, below the new loft room, and it was very loud. Also concerned that the new ensuite waste pipes will be noisy in the room below.

Yes, go for it.....I've used it on air ducting and it worked a treat. It needs the odd wrap of duck tape to keep it in place.
John :)

When the fan is running, try to loosen its fixing screws and see if the sounds changes much. Sometimes the vibrations against the wall amplify the sound. If the sound changes a lot, try fixing the fan via a gasket of soft rubber or foam. Could be the vibrations are being carried into the cavity by the liner of the fan hole.
Frank

There is no requirement by the Building Regulations that a partition that separates an ensuite and its bedroom be insulated.

Only an internal partition separating a separate bathroom and a bedroom would need to be insulated. So if you want your s insulating, which would be good practice, it would be an extra. If you ask for the upgrade, insist on a proper sound insulation quilt such as Crown Acoustic Partition Roll not just some rockwool as it's a lot denser.

For my ref, is this as good as the gyproc isovar stuff or the same?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back