Why can't I buy what I want?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Manufacturers really need to improve their product range.

How come large companies like MK and Crabtree don't make flush converter sockets after all this time?

Why don't they make cooker panels in the vertical plane? (You can get Contactum ones if you're lucky.)

Doorbells with built-in transformers (technical specification kept top secret) that don't have their secondary voltage matching products such as Ring bell pushes.

Cleats that fit armoured cable??

30amp connector block - what's happening to that - it seems either too big or too small for it's intended use.

Junction boxes with terminals that snap the conductors before you even finish tightening them.

Earth clamps where the terminal screw head bends out of shape.

Grommet strip that is too small to stay on to anything.

I could go on.

Sponsored Links
Manufacturers really need to improve their product range.

How come large companies like MK and Crabtree don't make flush converter sockets after all this time?

They have to fit a one gang back box and the plug pins would hit the existing plaster at the side of the back box.

Why don't they make cooker panels in the vertical plane? (You can get Contactum ones if you're lucky.)

Perhaps there is little demand.

Doorbells with built-in transformers (technical specification kept top secret) that don't have their secondary voltage matching products such as Ring bell pushes.

Perhaps Ring should have designed their pushes to match the voltage that has been standard for many decades.

[/QUOTE]

Cleats that fit armoured cable??

30amp connector block - what's happening to that - it seems either too big or too small for it's intended use.

Junction boxes with terminals that snap the conductors before you even finish tightening them.

Earth clamps where the terminal screw head bends out of shape.

Grommet strip that is too small to stay on to anything.

I could go on.

I'm glad you didn't

They have to fit a one gang back box and the plug pins would hit the existing plaster at the side of the back box.

I don't follow, if Robus can make a converter, why can't MK or Crabtree make their version?

I'm not expecting slimline, just to look remotely similar.

I don't follow, if Robus can make a converter, why can't MK or Crabtree make their version?
As BAS has said, there obviously has to be somewhere for the plug pins to go, no matter who makes it!

A quick look found one Robus one calling itself 'flush' - but it's actually 20mm deep - which I would hardly call 'flush'.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
As BAS has said, there obviously has to be somewhere for the plug pins to go, no matter who makes it!

A quick look found one Robus one calling itself 'flush' - but it's actually 20mm deep - which I would hardly call 'flush'.

Kind Regards, John

It's not BAS, it's the other one.

I have no problem with Robus, and their converter sockets. I fully understand how they work. I have no problems at all with any of this.

ALL I am trying to say is this; Why can't MK or Crabtree make their OWN version of a converter socket?

The REASON for this IS - say I have a house all wired up in the current range of Crabtee stuff. Then lo and behold, I need to change a single socket to a double. Don't want to chase out the box. I'll fit a converter socket. If I get a Crabtree one, it will look better against all my other other Crabtree stuff. Oh bugger - Crabtree don't make them. Well Robus do one - hardly goes with my existing Crabtree range - but there you go.

It's not BAS, it's the other one.
Whoops, so it is! (I tend to think of the pair of them 'in the same breath'!) :oops:
I have no problem with Robus, and their converter sockets. I fully understand how they work. I have no problems at all with any of this. ALL I am trying to say is this; Why can't MK or Crabtree make their OWN version of a converter socket?
As has been suggested, I suspect that it's probably a matter of (lack of) demand.
The REASON for this IS - say I have a house all wired up in the current range of Crabtee stuff. Then lo and behold, I need to change a single socket to a double. Don't want to chase out the box. I'll fit a converter socket. If I get a Crabtree one, it will look better against all my other other Crabtree stuff. Oh bugger - Crabtree don't make them. Well Robus do one - hardly goes with my existing Crabtree range - but there you go.
I suppose it's a personal thing - it might 'look better' in some senses, but it would still stick out almost as much as a surface-mounted socket.

Is there any chance that you could coax a Crabtree double socket into a 16mm Double surface box? If you could, it probably would not 'stick out' any/appreciably more than a Robus converter socket.

Kind Regards, John

Whoops, so it is! (I tend to think of the pair of them 'in the same breath'!)
I had no idea that you'd concocted such a bizarre, fantastical version of reality to use in your head as an alternative to the actual one.

How about a 2G socket with 2 sets of separate terminals, to be used when wanting to extend a ring, and with some magic feature to stop numpties from using it to break a ring?

I use 2 x LAP 13A 1-Gang Unswitched Grid Modules White and a LAP 2-Gang Front Plate with 4 Module Aperture OK you can wire them wrong, can't stop that, but it does allow one to split a ring and extend.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back