Why can't twin & earth be run diagonally?

Can you still bury cable diagonally if it's in earthed conduit?

Sponsored Links
I have to disagree with Flameport about cables being put where they shouldn't be. In the case of the cooker hood, there could be accessories above and/ or below the cooker hood that form a zone for the cable to run in.

Regarding current using equipment like the cooker hood and shower unit that are fixed to walls, there is absolutely no question that the place where you connect the wiring to them is a point.

Then you have to ask yourself where the cable connected to that point runs. It seems sensible to say that the width of the (for example) cooker hood or shower forms a zone for the cable feeding it.

Point (in wiring). A termination of the fixed wiring intended for the connection of current-using equipment.

Accessory. A device, other than current-using equipment, associated with such equipment or with the wiring of an
installation.

Switchgear. An assembly of main and auxiliary switching equipment for operation, regulation, protection or other

control of an electrical installation.

Appliances and current using equipment are none of those things, whether they are fixed or portable.
Any zone would only be that formed by the FCU, socket outlet or other connection point, not the entire extractor assembly.

I have to disagree again. You say appliances and CUE are none of those things, but they may incorporate one of those things, IE a point.So, again, it seems sensible to say that the CUE forms a zone for the cable feeding it.

Perhaps it would be better to change the regs to decree that all wiring be run in earthed metal conduit?

I believe safe zones don’t apply if cable deeper than 50mm.

personally I don’t see that as being safe, it would be easy to drill deeper than 50mm

although nobody would normally try and bury a cable that deep in a single thickness block wall.

ps: it’s so easy to forget safe zones when fitting skirting - I may have learnt the hard way…..

Sponsored Links
it seems sensible
BS7671 isn't necessarily sensible.

It's a massive pile of documents written by a bundle of loosely related committees and then compiled into a whole series of separate IEC standards by another committee, then those are taken and amended into CENELEC standards by more committees, and finally those are sliced and diced by a few more committees, various UK only directives are shoved in, and that is what ends up as BS7671.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back