Why CU AND fuse box

Sponsored Links
Thanks to everyone for those replies. It's clear I need to get an expert to look at this so that's what I'll do. However, I'll answer some points raised too. Adam, actually I did mean that brown cable that Ban referred to. That's the earth wire although as before it didn't show up well in my naff photo. You're right about the old twin and earth. Plugwash, thanks for the comments. All makes sense. Ban, the earth from the cu goes up to the loft and the wire then goes out of the wall with the other power cables to the electricity pole outside.(Pic here:)
http://freespace.virgin.net/c.kennard/earthout.jpg
The bolt is very tight - seems to be some kind of lock nut actually - but you're right, it does look unusual, even to me.
Anyway, I'll see what the sparks has to say. Thanks again.

Well if thats the case the electricity board have done a 'funny' on an overhead the earth or neutral should be the lowest cable on the pole
quoting
"The Electricity Safety, Quality and Continuity Regulations "

18.4 "(4) Any bare conductor not connected with earth, which is part of a low voltage overhead line, shall be situated throughout its length directly above a bare conductor which is connected with earth."

mind you it would't be the first time the rules haven't been followed.
really it should all go into one of these.http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLEB8.html which gives double screwed contacts to each wire, with plenty of room for green/yellow to go to water pipes and gas pipes. A single bolt with a jammed thread is not quite the proper thing, but to change it is not a difficult job, so long as there is room to get in there, and the cables are adequately sized.
M.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back