why did Noah let this go ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
http://www.jamesburge.com/socket1.jpg

http://www.jamesburge.com/socket2.jpg

Finally, I have got my rewire to a stage where I could rip out the remains of the old wiring

All I had left were the remnants of the old bungalow wide ring main with its spurs on spurs on spurs

I now sleep easier knowing its been wired correctly and I don't have lighting circuits which used co-ax cable!!!!!!!! and spurs into a utility room which was running a fridge, freezer, washing machine and tumble drier off a single T&E 2.5mm cable spurred into the ring using a 15A chocblock and swathes of insulating tape !!!!!!!!!!1

Anyway, I have been in this game for a while, but even when I started, didn't come up against this type of socket

Imagine my suprise when I took the faceplate off only to realise this exposed all the live workings ( of course the power was off at the time )

This really is a MK socket

Can anyone date it accurately - it must be pre 1970 by my reckoning

Sponsored Links
Did you have to post quite such a big picture with such a small socket in the middle?

Yep, got some of them still in this house. Quite normal design at the time. If you think about it, removing the face plate from any modern socket will also leave you facing a selection of live wires. I would say modern-style recessed sockets were already in use late sixties or early seventies. I do not know when your style socket stopped being made. You can still go to a boot fair and buy them unused, mint. Saw some recently.

Sorry, I,m a bit of a novice at this lark

Had to get my son to talk me through the methodology

:oops: :oops:

Get out your paint program, select a rectangle around the socket and crop to the selected area. save as a new file. Its, ok, just very slow waiting for it to appear.

Sponsored Links
the problem is my son has 1Gb ADSL so don't notice the slow loading sorry

will cut it down next time :oops: :oops:

swelec said:
the problem is my son has 1Gb ADSL so don't notice the slow loading sorry

will cut it down next time :oops: :oops:

at 1gb, you wont notice the slow loading

Um, no. I was also interested if anyone had suggestions on the age of the sockets since we had quite a lot of them and presumably they are the same age as the rest of the stuff. Which is to say CU before the introduction of the 'modern' standard rewireable fuse. Nice vintage china one piece fuses.

Oh, you could still get these long after the onset of MCBs, but I think type 1 and 2, rather than the A,B, C we use today.
The thing that finshed them is the fact that they are backless, and may give probs if the wall is flammable and it overheats, or if it gets exceptionally damp. I'd suggest they phased out of prodution between the late 70's and mid 80s , similar time to the demise of the wooden box type of consumer unit (personnally last fitted one of those in 1983-ish )
any other offers?

too many apologies from me in this thread

another one it's 1Mb ADSL

:oops: :oops:

Some of our double sockets had rear bakerlite plates. So the whole thing was three pieces.

ban-all-sheds said:
swelec said:
too many apologies from me in this thread
And there's another one! Sheesh...

1Gb would be cool. I regularly get close on 100Mb to my desk when I'm in the office, and it is dammed impressive watching downloads run at a rate too fast to be counted out loud by saying "1 megabyte, 2 megabytes, 3 megabytes" etc at a normal speaking pace....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back