Odd kitchen wiring, Legal to alter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All

My house was rewired around 10 years ago by the previous owners builders at the time of a kitchen installation. There are no problems with the installation, but it looks like the kitchen layout got changed and as a result there are a couple of double outlet sockets that have just been left trailing under the cabinets. Think they may have been intended to be inside the cabs for powering installed appliances. One is on the ring, the other is a spur. I would like to extend the spur to provide power for a tumble drier, so will have to extend that cable from the ring.

The socket on the ring has no useful purpose so would like to use Wago connectors/box to connect the spur and delete the double socket. Is this OK from a notification point of view?

Sponsored Links
First question; Was the kitchen work notified 10 years ago?

Yes, and checked ~7 years ago as part of purchase
In that case the alteration should include a small works certificate (or whatever the current name may be).

In principle your proposal for replacing the existing double socket with a junction box and a spur is sound. If this is where the existing spur is connected it's a good opportunity to remove it to tidy things.

Sponsored Links
Does that also mean no 'small works' now?
The notification rules in Wales remain the same as they were in England pre-2013.

That means that almost any modifications or extensions (no matter how big or small) to circuits in a kitchen are still notifiable in Wales (as they still are in zones of a bathroom in England).

I would be very interested to know whether the Wales/England difference in notification rules for the past 8 years have been reflected by any differences in 'electrical safety statistics' (which are next-to-impossible to find).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back