why do electricians question the competence of DIYers?

I can quite see why a qualified and professional (as in attitude, not just doing it for a living) electrician would have that approach in general.

I'm sure you can't be in the trade for long before you see some real toe curlers. My parents house was a real example of that thanks to some BIY by the previous owner. The ring main was actually a figure of 8, there was a socket on some panelling that was actually extended from the original point in the wall with a few feet of round black rubber flex, I could go on but I think you can get the jist.

There are some DIYers/amateurs who take pride in their work and who can do a good job - in some cases the workmanship may be far better than someone restricted by a commercial limit on the man hours for the job. While it will probably sound like blowing my own trumpet, I've genuinely had people suggest I ought to be an electrician - to which I've always replied that i couldn't make a living at it with the speed I don't work at :rolleyes:

The problem is that many of the people who are the problem, as already pointed out, just don't realise how much they don't know - and so they blindly carry on thinking they are doing it right.

However, this last bit can apply to so called professionals (as in doing it for a living, not in attitude). I've just found a circuit in my new house with no earth at all. The "professional" who installed it must have thought RCDs make earthing of exposed metalwork obsolete ! That was done pre-Part-P though.
On the other hand, there's a spur (combination RCD/FCU) been installed upstairs for the shower waste pump that has all the paperwork to make it legal - but whoever did it must have been a bit short somewhere. No evidence of any attempt to fit a grommet in the back box of the socket he spurred out of - or to put the dislodged one back that was protecting the original cables. And given the stiffness of 4mm cable (guess he didn't have any 2.5 on the van ?), I'd have though protection was even more required.

Lastly, I have a polite suggestion to all those professional electricians out there. Please, please, please try and persuade your fellow tradesmen to either learn how to do network cabling properly, or leave it to those that do know. It's one thing I do do professionally, and all the comments about people doing stuff they don't understand apply here - except most of the safety stuff since we're not talking high voltage or significant power. I come across it fairly regularly - networking done by a sparky who doesn't have a clue about how to treat network cable or terminate it properly. But it can't be hard can it, after all it's just a few small wires.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back