Why do I find it so difficult to fix things to a wall . . . . . . .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Arrrrggghhh . . . . .

I'm trying to put up a coat rack wall fixture, just two screws, into what I thought would be plaster board and then brick. I drilled a small pilot hole to find a large cavity so used some B&Q hollow wall plastic plug and screws, "ideal for shelving, curtain rails, wall lights and kitchen fittings".

I was very careful as I've had trouble before so did it slowly so as not to over tighten. The plug was nice and tight to the wall, I was confident. But as I screwed in the coat rack nothing tightened up at all and just went round and round and the coat rack far too loose to the wall.

What is the correct product for such a job, given that my previously 8mm holes are now a little bigger as I tried to remove said ba%$rd plugs.

Thankyou.

Sponsored Links
Have you drilled all the way into the brick behind the plasterboard? If so, just use a quality plug, like Fischer SX 8mm, perhaps set it into some silicone or what ever you got lying around, and use a screw that is long enough to reach the back of plug.

push the plug through the plaster board, all the way into the brick, and use long screws.

Sponsored Links
Get some thick plumbing solder, poke it in the hole, pull it out by a few mm and then cut it off.Push the solder back in the hole so you have a length of solder not quite up to the depth of the hole, in the hole. Now put the screw in. If it is not tight enough, put another piece of solder in the same hole. I have found this method way better than any type of rawl plug especially it lightweight blocks etc. Oddly enough it was a plumber that told me about it when I had a very large column radiator to fit on a thermalite wall.

is this on the outside wall, or an inside wall? If inside, could be stud wall, so you'd be better off finding the studs and using those. I had this with coat hooks in last house. In the end I put a nice bit of wood on the wall that was screwed into one or 2 studs (can't remember now) and then screwed the coat hanger onto that, so it was in the correct position.

If external wall, then as mentioned, long plugs, long screws.

Arrrrggghhh . . . . .

I'm trying to put up a coat rack wall fixture, just two screws, into what I thought would be plaster board and then brick. I drilled a small pilot hole to find a large cavity so used some B&Q hollow wall plastic plug and screws, "ideal for shelving, curtain rails, wall lights and kitchen fittings".

I was very careful as I've had trouble before so did it slowly so as not to over tighten. The plug was nice and tight to the wall, I was confident. But as I screwed in the coat rack nothing tightened up at all and just went round and round and the coat rack far too loose to the wall.

What is the correct product for such a job, given that my previously 8mm holes are now a little bigger as I tried to remove said ba%$rd plugs.

Thankyou.
You have to identify what material you are fixing too, brick, blocks etc?
As mentioned nothing wrong with using longer screws.
Does the coat hook use screws thru it or does it hang on screw heads?

I think the quality of the plasterboard makes a huge difference when it comes to plasterboard fixings - in my previous house (Barratts!) I tried just about every type, and they would all eventually fall out. Maybe if you have 12.5mm or more then it's better than the 9.5mm boards.

Nothing wrong with the distance, simply use longer screws. What is you wanted to something really heavy like hang kitchen wall units for example?
Then I’d recommend a different fixing method , but he is hanging a coat rail .

I put a coat rail on a flimsy plasterboard wall with the expanding fixings, and one day one too many heavy coats were hung, and the whole lot fell off, ripping huge holes in the plasterboard. Maybe those metal fixings would have worked though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back