Why do I need a Building Regulations Certificate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In a nutshell.

New build, done half to live in before proper build starts, the 1st half possibly fails on insulation so therefore wouldn't get final BR Cert.

Our Architectural Engineer has been working with us and BR well, but has just said via email...

"other clients which have had similar schedules after building have ignored the requests and were told that a Final Certicate would not be issed - they took the tactic - so what?!! Provided that you take the risk on Insurance Cover and if the property is sold "as seen", what the hell."

I was always under the impression that without a BR Cert subsequent buyers wouldn't be able to get a mortgage.

Is this true? If not, what are the negative sides to not having a BR Cert?

(If at all possible, could I ask all answers relate to the issue of BR Certificates, not about starting a build without clearance or validity or merits of the Architectural Engineer - thanks in advance)

Sponsored Links
Quite right, some lender will not lend on a Build with no Final Certificate. Many lenders will also not lend on a Build with no warranty ie Building Control Warranty or NHBC. Naturally a condition of a valid warranty is obtaining Building Regulations sign off. This will greatly reduce the possible purchasers when you come to sell so whilst a cash buyer may not be perturbed anyone wishing to obtain a mortgage will run into problems. You will likely also find that your buildings Insurance will not be valid. If you plan to only leave your house 'in a box' then the argument of what the hell would seem more valid than if you intend to sell it as soon as or in the next few years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back