What out of the following needs Building regs notification..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

This isn't a one off post as we've just moved into our project house that consists of an old cottage with a dodgy 1960 extension. Although livable it is going to be our project for the next couple of years. I've signed up to this forum as you seem to be the most sensible minded bunch I can find to share my experiences with!

We're starting on the old cottage half that consists of the living room and two bedrooms above. We've had an initial visit from a local structural engineer who has given some guidance and is prepared to draw up some plans for the items marked * below.

The work schedule will comprise of the items below and want to check my understanding of the BR rules with some more intelligent people here.

BR notifcation?:
- Strip all walls, repoint (if necessary) and plaster in a lime render
- Replace two load bearing beams (one wooden but showing weakness the other believed to be rsj (covered in plaster at the mo) with two traditional oak beams *
- remove partion wall between bedrooms, pin external walls* (slight external bowing noticed), rebuild partion wall.

BR self certification if done by competent person?:
- new windows, window sills
- rewire

No BR notification?:
- replumbing, additional radiators
- waterproof membrane ground floor with insulation (tbc)
- new floor boards, new carpets
- redecorate

Can anyone also recommend if this sort of work is better to do under a full plans or building notice, given we would be getting structural drawings done anyway.

Thanks for any advice in advance

Sponsored Links
Hi Everyone,

This isn't a one off post as we've just moved into our project house that consists of an old cottage with a dodgy 1960 extension. Although livable it is going to be our project for the next couple of years. I've signed up to this forum as you seem to be the most sensible minded bunch I can find to share my experiences with!

We're starting on the old cottage half that consists of the living room and two bedrooms above. We've had an initial visit from a local structural engineer who has given some guidance and is prepared to draw up some plans for the items marked * below.

The work schedule will comprise of the items below and want to check my understanding of the BR rules with some more intelligent people here.

BR notifcation?:
- Strip all walls, repoint (if necessary) and plaster in a lime render
- Replace two load bearing beams (one wooden but showing weakness the other believed to be rsj (covered in plaster at the mo) with two traditional oak beams *
- remove partion wall between bedrooms, pin external walls* (slight external bowing noticed), rebuild partion wall.

BR self certification if done by competent person?:
- new windows, window sills
- rewire

No BR notification?:
- replumbing, additional radiators
- waterproof membrane ground floor with insulation (tbc)
- new floor boards, new carpets
- redecorate

Things like windows and rewiring need notifying or can be self certificated if part of a competent persons *cough* scam. Things like DPMs and insulation can start getting into technically 'grey' areas dependant on the extent of the work. You have a pretty big list so maybe take a looksee on the portal here:-

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/house

Can anyone also recommend if this sort of work is better to do under a full plans or building notice, given we would be getting structural drawings done anyway.

If you've got drawings you may as well get full plans - saves any complications at build stage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back