building regs queries

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently a single storey property in an L shape. One leg of the L is two outbuildings and a bedroom, the other leg is lounge, kitchen, bathroom and study.
Planning app is to convert the two outbuildings into the accommodation unit by removing the external wall on outbuilding leg and to build a new wall two metres into the middle of the L to increase the floor area. sloping roof to be replaced with pitch roof to match pitch in the other leg.
Planning has been approved, I received draft drawings detailed for building regs.
This shows the plans without regs.
http://developments.southglos.gov.u...f/PT15_5339_F-PROPOSED_FLOOR_PLAN-5159696.pdf

The details are to divide the existing bedroom into additional bathroom, utility and clothing store.
The surveyor has added a two new wastes for the utility and new toilet/bathroom using existing external route taken by the drainpipe waste pipes, the new waste pipes require a channel to be cut into the concrete floor and outside a new inspection chamber where the two wastes join and then a new junction with the existing waste to the Klargester. Seems like a lot of work as the existing bathroom is 6-8 feet from the utility and new toilet/bathroom, so easier to lay the waste pipe through two stud walls. The proposal does separate the waste from the existing bathroom, and this will be the sleeping area from the living area.

Heating: The boiler is currently in the existing kitchen. The proposal is for the boiler to be in the utility. The existing boiler is a WB Heatslave 12/14 with SEDBUK efficiency of 82.5% or 81.8% depending on your source of info. The proposal requires a boiler with 85% efficiency. Just wondering if I could move and retain the old boiler (ten years old)?
Also he states that all heating and plumbing has to be installed by OFTEC eng. This is std stuff for the boiler, but plumbing installed by an OFTEC engineer?

Electrics: this has to be part P approved. In 2005 I wired up the existing accommodation and had it checked by a sparks before Part P came in. So is it cheaper to DIY then get it checked by Part P sparks or is it better/cheaper to get the sparks to install?
The mains enter underground outside the existing front door, which becomes the hall. An earth rod is fixed into the soil by the front door, guessing that this has to be moved to outside and the mains pipe be moved?

One specific issue is that the studding for the existing bedroom, bathroom and study is braced against the wall between the bedroom and the first outbuilding, using noggins. The wooden studding for the bedroom has to be removed to fit two windows and a new dividing wall, so if the noggins are removed will the plasterboard and bathroom tiles crack open?

Sponsored Links
I can find six of them, identifiable by that squiggly thing at the end of the relevant sentences.

Probably not
Sounds daft, I'd DIY the plumbing
Probably DIY, buy the On Site Guide first
Retention of Earth rod depends on your earthing scheme, will need moving if it's required
I'd shift the meter, you can't DIY that bit
Try doing it carefully and you should be OK

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back