Moving the bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning all.

I am currently looking at a property which has a large landing. My thoughts would be to create a new bedroom, which would be created by taking some of the landing and the existing bathroom space. As there is a large kitchen, I proposed to split the kitchen, to create a smaller kitchen and new bathroom. If I do this, the new bathroom will not have any windows. Are there any issues with this? Is a bathroom obliged to have a window? I am aware of the regs regarding ventilation for the kitchen and bathroom.

Sponsored Links
No issue with the lack of a window as stated but you also need to be aware of Building Regs, controlling drainage, sound insulation of any stud walls adjacent to a habitable room & new electrics. As your creating a new room with fitted with a W/C, the work will also be notifyable & possibly subject to inspection.

Edit; you should also consider that having no upstairs bathroom will counteract somewhat the additional value of adding annother bedroom.

Sponsored Links
You need an extractor fan capable of extracting min. 15 litres per second.

If a window cannot be provided... does the fan need to compensate (i.e. extract at a higher rate)? :confused:

You need an extractor fan capable of extracting min. 15 litres per second.

If a window cannot be provided... does the fan need to compensate (i.e. extract at a higher rate)? :confused:
Most of the smaller fans are capable of around 20 litres/sec+ so no real problem; no additional capacity needed for the lack of an opening window.

Thanks guys.

It is a flat - we are on the top floor. Currently we have :

A Landing Space B stud wall C bathroom D structural wall E large kitchen F

I intend to remove stud and and put in a new one like this :

A Bedroom D structural wall E bathroom - stud wall - small kitchen F

Essentially, the bathroom will be the same side (but other side of structural wall) - I expect to use the same soil pipe.

I believe that Part E will apply as it is a material change of use and building regs are required for the Electrics, Ventilation, Fire and Sound.

It is a flat - we are on the top floor. Currently we have :
Ah-ha didn't think of that :rolleyes:

A Landing Space B stud wall C bathroom D structural wall E large kitchen F

I intend to remove stud and and put in a new one like this :

A Bedroom D structural wall E bathroom - stud wall - small kitchen F

Essentially, the bathroom will be the same side (but other side of structural wall) - I expect to use the same soil pipe.
Would rather see a sketch than try to work that one out but you only need to insulate walls adjacent to a habitable room. A habitable room is defined as; all living rooms and bedrooms, but not kitchens, bathrooms, WCs or circulation space. Creating the new room with a W/C is notifyable & the work must comply with current regs; if your connecting into an existing stack they may still want to inspect but are unlikely to require test.

I believe that Part E will apply as it is a material change of use and building regs are required for the Electrics, Ventilation, Fire and Sound.
If it’s a purpose built flat or existing conversion, moving your loo does not amount to a material change of use. A new conversion inot flats does & then you have to sound insulate the floors as well.

but not kitchens

Kitchens are infact considered habitable rooms if they are more than 2m wide in accordance with some local authoritys' "Outlook, Amenity, Privacy & Daylight" document.

Kitchen/diners are h' rooms.
I know K/D's are classed as H/R; understandably IMO, but I've not seen anything specific that places kitchens into a H/R category. It may be down to local (inexperienced ?) interpretation but I would question such an interpretation based on all the many LABC guidelines I’ve read.

another point to remember you must leave your landing a minimum off a square the same size as the stairs are wide

You mean a landing has to be as deep as the width of the flight or "at least" 400mm if a door swings across it :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back