Reulations for rooms off of rooms

Sponsored Links
^woody^... Lay off the alcohol and Monty :p

imsparticus... If I have interpreted that correctly, what is the area to the north of the en-suite, part of the bedroom? According to that, if a door goes onto the en-suite (normal situation), then you are not escaping via the en-suite :confused:

The area to the north of the en-suite will become a corridor, separated from the en-suite by a stud wall with laminated glass top to allow some light into the area. At the end of this wall you will have the option of carrying on through an arch to the bedroom or turning back into the en-suite. I'm not sure if this area will be classed as part of the en-suite or part of the bedroom or neither.

The question I still have is will the existing bedroom (accessed via the arch) now need a fire escape window?
BTW thanks for all your help guys.

If you put a door onto the en-suite, then what's the problem? :confused: This corridor will just become a part of the bedroom, which you can use for wardrobes, etc...

plan.png

I've shown the new walls and door in red.

If anything, you're very much improving the current situation. Or am I missing something?

Sponsored Links
There is a problem of a chimney breast which will limit where I can put the new opening. That’s why I had the new dividing wall inline with the centre of the arch, to maximise the en-suite width. I could end up with a corridor wider than the en-suite! I'll get my tape measure out once some fitted wardrobes are out of the way and give your idea some thought, thanks..
So I'm guessing in my original plan the new corridor wouldn't be classed as part of the bedroom and I would need a fire escape window?
Whereas if it is classed as part of the bedroom i.e. like your plan I wouldn't?

your plan will not require any further fire escape and the en-suite is not deemed as a habitable room and so will not require any fire seperation.
By making the landing open directly onto the landing you have lessened the fire risk.
The creation of a new bathroom is however notifiable work.

your plan will not require any further fire escape and the en-suite is not deemed as a habitable room and so will not require any fire seperation.
By making the landing open directly onto the landing you have lessened the fire risk.
The creation of a new bathroom is however notifiable work.

Many thanks, I hope you mean my original plan with just an arch into the bedroom and no door on the en-suite?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back