Reulations for rooms off of rooms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just so I get a few things clear in my mind before I apply for a building notice.

We plan on creating a new en-suite bathroom from an existing 1st floor bedroom, we will keep the access to the en-suite from the landing but would want to open up an internal wall creating an arch to give access to the existing bedroom behind it hence creating the en-suite.

Now the problem is that the existing bedroom behind the proposed en-suite currently only has access to it through another bedroom on the other side of the landing which we would eventually like to block up.
So the question is, would any new fire escape regulations apply (window openings etc) to that bedroom as it is currently only accessible via another bedroom and once the en-suite is complete it will only be accessible via the new en-suite?
I hope this all makes sense.

Sponsored Links
Hmmm. I "think" I understand.

So at present, the only escape from that bedroom is via another bedroom? As that's existing, there's not a lot that can be done about it and BC taking any action.

However, as you'll be creating a new en-suite, which will require BC approval, you will have to comply with the regulations. In the proposal, the new entrance/escape to the bedroom will be via the en-suite. Therefore, the escape is still via another room and even though is similar to an inner/access room situation, an en-suite is not classed as an inner room. Also, you're not making the situation any worse than it was before. And under the reg's, all habitable rooms in the upper storey of a dwellinghouse served by one stair should either have an escape window/door or have direct access to a protected staircase. So based on that, I think BC will ask for an escape window to that bedroom, which would may also be subject to planning approval.

I personally would speak to your BC department prior to making the submission. They make take the view that you're not making the current situation any worse as the new entrance/exit will be via an en-suite and not a bedroom.

And that is of course if I have interpreted your post correctly.

Funny it made complete sense to me:)
Yes there will be a bedroom that you can only get into or out of via an en-suite when the en-suite has been completed. But that same bedroom is currently in the exact same situation now apart from its only accusable from a different bedroom, i.e. a different bedroom than will be converted to the en-suite.

I was just wondering as the fire exit situation will not change i.e. you will still need to go through a room to exit the bedroom, does changing the access to it from a bedroom to an en-suite mean I have to now have an escape window?

Many thanks.

Edit. Many thanks devildamo, sounds like you got what I meant.

Sponsored Links
As said...

I personally would speak to your BC department prior to making the submission. They make take the view that you're not making the current situation any worse as the new entrance/exit will be via an en-suite and not a bedroom.

And of course it'd make sense to you... you wrote it :p A picture paints a thousand words :p

Ok next question coming up, linked to this one but in the Windows section.

Better start a new thread though as some one else may want to see the answer after a search.

Hmmm. I "think" I understand.

So at present, the only escape from that bedroom is via another bedroom? As that's existing, there's not a lot that can be done about it and BC taking any action.

If the property has been altered from its original condition to create this inner room then there is something that building control can do because it is a material change and a life safety issue.

With regards to changing this bedroom to an ensuite, it does not matter if the escape situation remains the same as once building control are involved with the conversion then it will become an unacceptable situation and Part B1 will apply

[/quote]

If the property has been altered from its original condition to create this inner room then there is something that building control can do because it is a material change and a life safety issue.
[/quote]
Thanks, just for info,
The inner room was part of an extension created some 12yrs ago. The inner room will still be an inner room so that will not change but it will accessed from a different room once the conversion is complete.

Therefore, the escape is still via another room and even though is similar to an inner/access room situation, an en-suite is not classed as an inner room.

An en-suite isn't classed as an inner room when it is the inner room, but it might be classed as an outer room when it's the outer room, so the bedroom may be an inner room.

Having the only access to a room through a WC room might not be allowable anyway?

but it might be classed as an outer room

As in, the access room. But yes, you are correct. It depends how the BCO would look at it. Thinking about it... the bedroom would be the inner room in this situation and the en-suite would be deemed as the access room. That still begs the situation of whether or not an en-suite could be classed as an inner OR access room. I'm sure it'll be a case by case basis and down to the actual BCO.

"I do wish you'd listen, Wymer. It's perfectly simple. If you're not getting your hair cut, you don't have to move your brother's clothes down to the lower peg. You simply collect his note before lunch, after you've done your scripture prep, when you've written your letter home, before rest, move your own clothes onto the lower peg, greet the visitors, and report to Mr. Viney that you've had your chit signed"

Please just post an existing and proposed plan and we can tell you if it complies or not.

Here you go, hope this helps. Not to scale etc etc but you get the idea.

plans2.png

^woody^... Lay off the alcohol and Monty :p

imsparticus... If I have interpreted that correctly, what is the area to the north of the en-suite, part of the bedroom? According to that, if a door goes onto the en-suite (normal situation), then you are not escaping via the en-suite :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back