Why do Victorian/Edwardian terraces commonly have sunken bathrooms?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I'm in the early stages of planning a kitchen extension to the back of my Edwardian mid-terraced house, which will inevitably impact the bathroom above it. The floor of my bathroom is sunken - ie there are two steps down from the door to the bathroom floor.

In the course of my research, I have noticed that this is quite common for bathrooms in Edwardian/Victorian terraced houses. Does anyone know why this is? I understand that these old two up, two down houses had two-storey kitchen/bathroom extensions plugged onto the back of them later on (as is the case with mine), but I don't see why the floors weren't made level.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Hello everyone,

I'm in the early stages of planning a kitchen extension to the back of my Edwardian mid-terraced house, which will inevitably impact the bathroom above it. The floor of my bathroom is sunken - ie there are two steps down from the door to the bathroom floor.

In the course of my research, I have noticed that this is quite common for bathrooms in Edwardian/Victorian terraced houses. Does anyone know why this is? I understand that these old two up, two down houses had two-storey kitchen/bathroom extensions plugged onto the back of them later on (as is the case with mine), but I don't see why the floors weren't made level.

Thanks in advance!
Probably due to extra cost involved to bring level .

purely a guess
as you go back less weight smaller stepped foundations
also timber spans around half so thinner timbers with upstairs and roof further reducing because off progressive anounts [reductions]added

Sponsored Links
Did they even have bathrooms in Victorian/Edwardian days? Surely, they would be later additions?

Did they even have bathrooms in Victorian/Edwardian days? Surely, they would be later additions?
From his post.....

I understand that these old two up, two down houses had two-storey kitchen/bathroom extensions plugged onto the back of them later on (as is the case with mine)

If the OP means what I think he means, it may be due to the roof?
Loads of what were 2 up, 2 downs here have a kitchen that you step down into, and above it is the bathroom which is accessed only through the back bedroom.
You seemed to go down a couple of steps.

I think that it may be an easier way to tie in the roof to the original?

In some cases the back addition has a concrete or flagstone floor laid on the ground.

I think that it may be an easier way to tie in the roof to the original
In some cases the back addition has a concrete or flagstone floor laid on the ground.
I think it's a combination of factors.
Stone flags in the scullery and a suspended floor for the living rooms, changing ground levels and the easiest way to tie in the roof, etc.

Nearly every rear extension roof in my terrace is a continuation from the main...
Screenshot_20240520-180707_Google Earth.jpg

Good question. My outrigger kitchen/bathroom (1889) was level, quarry tiles on earth with adjacent rooms suspended timber. My plot was level but others on the street where the plots sloped had steps down.

Would they make a bathroom lower than the next room lower to avoid water flowing through the house if there's any water spill from a bath or sink, or even a leak?

Would they make a bathroom lower than the next room lower to avoid water flowing through the house if there's any water spill from a bath or sink, or even a leak?
Although there wouldn't originally have been a 'bathroom' in a small Victorian terrace, you reminded me that there was a huge impact to the design of terraces due to the Public health act 1875 and the building act 1878.
This led to sanitary improvements, access to a Privy/WC (inside or out), running water, window sizes for ventilation etc, etc.
The terraces that were built after this time were known as "byelaw terraces".
This is worth a read...

So as with today's house builders, the design of the typical Victorian terrace, may be purely down to conforming to regulations at least cost to themselves!

Last edited:
...and with the change in Victorian house design, of having stairs perpendicular to the street; the half landing would make a very low ceiling in my kitchen if it wasn't sunken! :)

20240521_094407.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back