Why does it take so long to clear Motorway incidents?

Not one of you moaners & whingers will be able to come up with a valid reason as to why you speed, why you feel the need to speed..........

Please supply your definition of "speeding" then.

Presuming it is something along the lines of "going faster than the indicated speed limit"....

Here's one for ya.....

M1 "smart" motorway.
Derby to Barnsley stretch, 4 lanes, with next to sod all on it: nothing at all in outside two lanes, for long stretches.
Concrete central reservations.
Bright, dry, sunny mornings.
So, why are the matrix signs set to 60 or 50, for over 35 miles?

Sponsored Links
(and you know how Wannabe loves it when you give him things to trash)

wannabe way har bee. what he knows about the subject could be written on a postage stamp with a 6 inch brush :) sits around on his **** end all day

whilst his missis go's out to work, blimey a mongolian goat herders goat has got more upstairs then way har bee.

he probably lives in a Bungalow suits him tbh like him not a lot upstairs :LOL: :LOL:

(porkie pier & a fantasist as well)

edit ,tbh I dunno why he does not like me ??????????

:LOL:
Some are determined to turn every thread into a dull wan kers thread.

Afaik there are no speed limits on German motor ways ? is there safety record better or worst then ours ?

Speeding

A good while back a couple of blokes on M/C got clocked on the M25 at a speed in excess of 130 (if I recall) it was in the early hours of the morning
2 or 3 a.m (?)

no one got hurt , or injured or harmed

they got banned , 6 months inside , they lost there jobs one lost his house all a bit OTT imho

commit some violent assault on some one and u would not get that.

Afaik there are no speed limits on German motor ways ? is there safety record better or worst then ours ?

Speeding

A good while back a couple of blokes on M/C got clocked on the M25 at a speed in excess of 130 (if I recall) it was in the early hours of the morning
2 or 3 a.m (?)

no one got hurt , or injured or harmed

they got banned , 6 months inside , they lost there jobs one lost his house all a bit OTT imho

commit some violent assault on some one and u would not get that.
Some laws can be broken and others cannot. :rolleyes:
The point about reducing speeds is not to reduce accidents, or prevent them. It is to reduce the extent of damage caused.
As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, we can assume that human life is cheaper than the current value we place on it, and all the 'damage limitation' legislation can be reduced. But it would not be good politics.

Sponsored Links
Wonder what Saudi Arabia's road safety record is like ? pretty dire I suspect ? and they should not have any drink drivers either ?

and woman are not allowed to drive

wonder if Way Har b could throw any light on the subject ??

Wonder what Saudi Arabia's road safety record is like ? pretty dire I suspect ? and they should not have any drink drivers either ?

Ask your BraFriend. Apparently he has worked there.
You are still considering being a non-white, non anglo saxon as an insult. So inherent and deeply inbuilt is your depraved bigotry.

Some laws can be broken and others cannot. :rolleyes:
The point about reducing speeds is not to reduce accidents, or prevent them. It is to reduce the extent of damage caused.
As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, we can assume that human life is cheaper than the current value we place on it, and all the 'damage limitation' legislation can be reduced. But it would not be good politics.

Certainly a logical conclusion. But the reality isn't quite so clear.. Speed limits policy really doesn't focus much on reducing impact speed:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/63975/circular-01-2013.pdf

It might surprise you that the avg impact speed on a motorway is 20mph and on a urban restricted road 10mph. That suggests the link between free traveling speed and impact speed is far more complex than reduce 1 = reducing the other

Certainly a logical conclusion. But the reality isn't quite so clear.. Speed limits policy really doesn't focus much on reducing impact speed:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/63975/circular-01-2013.pdf

It might surprise you that the avg impact speed on a motorway is 20mph and on a urban restricted road 10mph. That suggests the link between free traveling speed and impact speed is far more complex than reduce 1 = reducing the other
It is obvious to most that a reduction in speed leads to the reduced braking distance required, and therefore a reduced impact speed.
The link, that you referred to, obviously intends to make roads safer.
Roads should be designed so that mistakes made by road users do not result in death or serious injury. Effective speed management is part of creating a safe road environment..

So long as there is no reduction in concentration. Add 1 second reaction time on a road that has been reduced from 40mph to 30mph and all benefits are lost (actual stopping distance increases).
There have been plenty of studies that show concentration below the 50th%ile of chosen speed reduces considerably. However it is true that the impact of collisions at lower speed is substantially less.

So long as there is no reduction in concentration. Add 1 second reaction time on a road that has been reduced from 40mph to 30mph and all benefits are lost (actual stopping distance increases).
There have been plenty of studies that show concentration below the 50th%ile of chosen speed reduces considerably. However it is true that the impact of collisions at lower speed is substantially less.
Can you show us any of these studies?

I'll have a look... I was up on all this 15 years ago when I was actively involved.. its been a while. The second part of your question is pure physics. meters per second and 30 or 40mph vs the required stopping distance. 30mph is ~13.5m/s

Of course no amount of improved concentration can account for a lack of risk awareness. There was a very good headcam video of a motorcycle rider being knocked off at approx 90mph as he passed a junction. His mistake was not his speed (though it was way too high) it was his inability to adjust it for the conditions and consider that someone may pull across his path at the junction.

Last edited:

A point you make inadvertently is the local culture has a huge impact on the effectiveness and overall aim of these measures. We as a nation tend to follow the rules and signs. Of the Mid east I have seen they have a very cavalier attitude to road safety and general driving behaviour.

Statistics can be skewed to prove any point someone is trying to make.

If a vehicle travelling at 70mph hits a vehicle travelling at 0mph, then statistically the average impact speed can be reported as 35mph.

You come across as someone who knows just a little bit more than a quick Google. Do you know at what 'G' force an impact is not survivable?

The worst ****s are those with their heads buried in their phones. I boil over when I see one in front of me happily texting away whilst the rest of us wait after the light has long changed to green. I might invest in a ships' claxon.

Some are determined to turn every thread into a dull wan kers thread.

Yes and you do. Well done. Second only to one other.

Statistics can be skewed to prove any point someone is trying to make.

If a vehicle travelling at 70mph hits a vehicle travelling at 0mph, then statistically the average impact speed can be reported as 35mph.

You come across as someone who knows just a little bit more than a quick Google. Do you know at what 'G' force an impact is not survivable?

I've no idea, I suspect it would have something to do with how long you were exposed. 70 vs 0 will be an impact speed of 70.

I'm a former advanced instructor - spent a fair amount of time training with police to get them through advanced exams, usually when they'd failed their first attempt. Did a bit with RoSPA, IAM and bikesafe too. all motorbikes. day job is IP law though i'm mostly retired now.

Sponsored Links
Back