Why does it take so long to clear Motorway incidents?

There's one that they hide (sorry place) around the bend on a wide road that doesn't need to be 30mpm, so you don't see it till it's too late. Anyone noticed how many average speed cameras they've now got, and in areas where the speed limit seems inordinately low. Now they might argue that evidence that shows an increase in accidents when drivers see the camera and brake sharply, then justifies the average speed system, but being a cynic, I still think there's a lot of revenue gain going on.

I'm in favour of average speed cameras, providing that the speed limit they "police" is reasonable for the road and conditions. At least they curtail the habits of (those who I consider to be) the real "dangerous" drivers; those who drive at frankly moronic speeds between cameras, slam on the anchors as they go through, then blast away again (I've even seen marked police cars to this, so very much doubt they were trying to respond to a call).

Sponsored Links
You have to be quite the bottom feeder to get banned from Wiki. They cited "poor fact checking, sensationalism and flat-out fabrication” as their reasons. No schitt

Interesting that the article criticising the Mail is in the Guardian, and that a comment in it actually states that some of the closers felt it was politically motivated. And it's s bit rich that the as Wikepedia is riven with inaccuracies, it should take such a supposedly high moral ground.

Speeding fines are optional. You don't have to pay them if you don't want to.

"If you can't do the time...."

Interesting that the article criticising the Mail is in the Guardian, and that a comment in it actually states that some of the closers felt it was politically motivated. And it's s bit rich that the as Wikepedia is riven with inaccuracies, it should take such a supposedly high moral ground.
Exactly why it is so astonishing they banned DM material. Just goes to show how morally corrupt the DM really is.

And it's s bit rich that the as Wikepedia is riven with inaccuracies
Good job those inaccuracies are quickly whittled out by sheer numbers of those editing or reading then innit. Good ole Wiki. Enough of it is true and factual though.(y)

Sponsored Links
Is speeding necessarily bad driving?

I see bad driving several times a day but rarely are they speeding.

Is someone who is 'getting a move on' & concentrating on achieving that not a better driver than someone not concentrating at all?

I think the bad driving aspect of speeding is getting caught, if you didn't spot the camera then you are not situationally aware.

I think those bleating on about sneaky cameras raising revenue are reluctant to admit they got caught whilst daydreaming.

I think those bleating on about sneaky cameras raising revenue are reluctant to admit they got caught whilst daydreaming.

I bridled at that when I first read it, but on reflection, you could well be right. We switch into autopilot, and concentrate on the cars around us, but don't bother with the cameras. I almost got caught by a variable speed camera on the M20 recently, but spotted them going off with a car in front. The speed had been cut to 60, then 50, then 40, then back up to 50, but no real problem. Initially it was a lane closed, but didn't come across that, then the reason was queues, and then the camera went off, but how much of the problems were caused by the signs not being upto date, and eveyone has learned to ignore the speed restrictions, becasue they can't be trusted.

I think the bad driving aspect of speeding is getting caught, if you didn't spot the camera then you are not situationally aware.

I can't really go along with that one, because that's a little like saying "it's okay to commit a crime as long as you don't get caught", and I'm sure that's not what you mean - or is it.

Is someone who is 'getting a move on' & concentrating on achieving that not a better driver than someone not concentrating at all?

Not always, a lot of younsters will undertake, weave across lanes, and do all sorts of things, and a lot of motorists doing more than the limit, often just stick in the outside lane.

I see bad driving several times a day but rarely are they speeding.

Sooooooooooo true. But far worse than several, believe me.

The worst ****s are those with their heads buried in their phones. I boil over when I see one in front of me happily texting away whilst the rest of us wait after the light has long changed to green. I might invest in a ships' claxon.

I think they should take you're licence away if you get caught with a phone in the car; but they are now saying that even hands free is just as dangerous. At this rate, we'll soon be banned from driving cars altogether.

But they're including the use of it in the new driving test. The inspector will give you an adress to enter, and you'll have to show you can use a sat nav, and then follow the route.

I'm old & wizened enough to know that most folk couldn't give a flying **** about anything which does not immediately affect them. Most folk are what we call 'asleep'.

To even mention in a passing glance, the issues surrounding speeding & cameras, is to me all I need to instantly dismiss a person as 'asleep'.

You moan & whinge about speeding as if everyone else has got it wrong & only YOU have the correct answer. Allow me to **** on your strawberries if I may, you are moaning & whingeing about speeding because you speed & would like to be able to continue speeding without hindrance.

Not one of you moaners & whingers will be able to come up with a valid reason as to why you speed, why you feel the need to speed or why everyone else shouldn't speed but you can.

I cannot wait for the day when advanced telematics records & broadcasts every infinite detail of your journeys. The window of opportunity for this to happen is preciously short because although the technology exists today tommorrows technology is the driverless vehicle. To get that one past those who are asleep will require a little spin, a few soundbites & a touch of made up statistics.

They are going to make you beg them to introduce driverless vehicles onto our highways.

Camera will spot you well before you spot it. Most of them have a range well beyond human eye sight. I'm not up on the latest rulings, but technically the camera confirms the officers opinion of speeding. There were a few cases dropped in the early days when it was clear the operator was zapping everything that moved. The officer is supposed to look at you, form an opinion and then confirm it.

I think there's one that will zap you from a mile away, but the officer would need a pair of binolulars to even suspect somone was speeding. Hell of a lack of perspective from that distance.

I can't say for certain, but the local speed wagon they hide (sorry place strategically) localy, doesn't seem to have anyone in it. The camera is set in the back of the van with the rear window down, but as they catch people coming round the corner, then there's no way the officer (if there is one) would be able to determine a vehicle was speeding, and then snap it.

You moan & whinge about speeding as if everyone else has got it wrong & only YOU have the correct answer. Allow me to **** on your strawberries if I may, you are moaning & whingeing about speeding because you speed & would like to be able to continue speeding without hindrance.

Oh comeon DL, you're being a bit harsh here. Cars are safer than when the speed limits were first set, but there will always be the argument that if you raise the speed limits, then there are those that will go even faster. It's very easy to find yourself doing 75 and even 80, and the car handles as though you're still doing 65, but reaction times get thinner, so it's not straight forward. I'm well past the days when speeding was fun, and I often sit at the speed limit quite happily, so no, I'm not moaning and whinging by any means, but what we're really discussing , is that we'll play fair, when we feel that the police are as well, and as most speed limits and cameras nowdays seem to be just revenue raising excercises, we'll carry on suspecting that we're being treated unfairly.

Sponsored Links
Back