Why don't cheap sockets handle over 5amp with photos

MK say that in their DP socket switches, the neutral makes first and breaks last, making it safer.
Which is what I would expect but in my opinion they are still not the high quality that others seem to describe and as such are stupidly overpriced.

Sponsored Links
I wan't suggesting either that they were good quality or competitively priced...

I used to buy all sorts of sockets when I was self-employed. I found the early Screwfix cheapies up there with the best in terms of recalls.
They were 79p each when buying 10+!

I fitted hundreds and never got a recall in a decade.

I found the early Screwfix cheapies up there with the best in terms of recalls.
They were 79p each when buying 10+!

I fitted hundreds and never got a recall in a decade.
I agree, I have had 2 Flats refurbed about 1995 and 1998 including new sockets/switches replaced with MK and within months had to start replacing sockets as it happens they would have been Homebase or more recently screwfix, after 5 years I don't think there was any MK sockets left. Since those failures there has been one that got smashed and a couple with water damage. One flat has been refurbed (early 2018) with screwfix products and so far one failure, their £2 pull switch and the replacement felt just as iffy so that's now an £8 LAP.

When we redid our kitchen I made the mistake of using 7x MK DSSO's with indicators, it was cheaper to buy 10 so 3 spares. There is now 2 left out of the 10 and one of those the neon has failed but amazingly all of the replacements are still good apart from the one where the Henry cable got tripped over and broke it (Which I refuse to count as a failure). So a total of 15 sockets to populate 7 spaces over a period os 15 years or so.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back