Why is green the colour of poison ?

Sponsored Links
I seem to remember poison bottles were ribbed blue not green. Bottle green was used to stop sun light as was brown bottles as the sun light causes something called skunking the hop derived molecules in the beer will break apart and recombine with a sulfuric compound when exposed to UV light. There is one beer "Miller" who seems to have found a way to process the hops so as not to cause the problem, but in the main beer is always kept in the dark. Pub lights should have UV filters in them and you should not really drink beer outside in the sun cider and Miller beer is an exception as is a glass of wine.

The devils element is chlorine which also has an ability to turn atmosphere green although also used to make things white. Although on it's own it is a poison we require it to live combined with other elements like sodium (NaCl or common salt).

Napoleon’s death was caused by arsenic he sent locks of his hair as souvenirs to his followers which was latter analysed to show it was arsenic poison, but further research it seems disputes the findings it would seem stomach cancer was the most likely cause.

We see reports galore with emails and internet about all sorts which latter turn out to be fake. To me if I detect any false information I then disregard the rest. green was used as well as blue .

What did the colours mean?
medicines-bottles-cea9.jpg
There was a connection between the colours used and the contents of the bottle. Blue was the original colour used for poison bottles. Green became more common in the mid 1800s. Blue bottles were also used for syrup. They were designed with a wide-brimmed, loose-fitting stopper that would not become sticky but still keep out the dust. Tin and plastic caps were used later.

Blue was also used for essential oils that needed to be kept from the light and air that would affect their quality and fragrance. Green bottles shared similar contents to blue. Their contents were more likely to be dangerous containing poisons and acid.

White opaque glass was used to keep liquids cool. In Europe, amber and yellow coloured glass was used for the preservation of metals such as silver and mercury.

So do I keep my beer is brown bottles? No it is kept in old pop bottles which are clear mainly as I can test if too much pressure without opening them and filling 12 bottles of 2 litres is far easier than 40 pint bottles and I can replace the cap on a pop bottle and keep beer to next day. I have never worried about skunking and I think in the glass it would go into the atmosphere as quick as produced so I will still drink beer out side on a nice day.

Maybe something to do with copper arsenate which is bluish green colour used in rat poison and as a fungicide and herbicide. Copper arsenite, whilst not the same thing, is also greenish pigment used in paints and dyes which is also poisonous.

Is the reason that many people consider green an unlucky colour because of it's link to poisons?

Sponsored Links
Times have moved on. We know better than to lick wallpaper these days! :)

Back