Why is it called a central heating boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A common heating furnace yes, it is all from a common heater for whole house, but they do not boil the water, and they are very rarely placed central to building. OK maybe I can understand boiler as the Lancaster boiler was the base unit for many early central heating systems, but only boiler I have seen used to heat is in factories ect. that use steam for some other use, like carriages on a heritage railway. But boilers tended to be where coal was delivered, and on ground floor, very rare central to the building or complex. And today normally on an outside wall.

So the old pre-fab house with a central chimney (flue) and a central cooker with side boiler was really central heating, but not called central heating.

I am sure there is a historical reason for the name, so what is it?

Sponsored Links
i believe originally boilers were fitted centrally to the house, or at least the main space of living, the main space of living is generally referred to as the hub or centre of the house.

My second house did not have central heating as we know it, however it did have a gas fire in the centre of the house which was an open plan house so it did heat all rooms, not a boiler as nothing to boil, but it was clearly central heating. Houses like this
6926229bd03185a5eb1bba1aad78f13e.jpg
have always been centrally heated, but this is not what we consider today as central heating, same as economy 7 storage radiators they have never been what I would call a central heating system.

I consider a central heating system is where one furnace (will not call it a boiler as could be hot air or water not steam) heats many rooms independently controlled. In most cases a lock shield valve and a thermostat radiator valve, but could be fan speed or some other control. But basic difference between central heating and my single gas heater is central heating is automated. You don't need to manually adjust the output.

However the phrase central heating boiler does not really describe what is fitted today, the only word which seems correct is heating, it is not central and it is not a boiler in most cases.

This
Crofton%20boiler.jpg
was the sort of thing that heated my school as a lad, it was designed to boil water even if in the school it never did, so I can understand how the word boiler even when they don't boil the water became the name used, but no way was this in the centre of the school, it was where the coal delivery could easy be made, we have had central heating for a few years now
roman_gardens_2.jpg
this shows an early Roman hypocaust the original UFH system, but the fire was out side, no way central to the building.

Sponsored Links
i would say central in this instance just means from one location outward

Central in that the heat source is a single one and distributed.
Heating in "bloody obvious"
Boiler in that the early uk systems used steam and water at 200°c

Aparently a Swedish government building was heated by red hot cannon balls delivered in insulated carts, to individual rooms. Kind of like the tea trolley or internal mail, someone navigated the building from a central furnace and replaced cooling balls with hot ones.

$_35.JPG

Stoves like this were common in Germany, often located in which ever room was nearest the centre of the house / apartment to spread heat around the other rooms. I have seen them in lounges, dining rooms and a few in bedrooms. ( though I think those bedrooms may have originally been the lounge or dining room.

Some provided hot water but mostly they were a wood or coal fired storage heater.

i think that you are conflating two different words here
centre tends to mean more exact point off reference usually in relation to perhaps a wheel or structure
of course it can be extended by adding one or more words to be used in say a shopping centre or transport centre which will by common sense tell you the context has now changed and now it means the same as central ??
where as central tends to suggest in one place rather than spaced about and in general never suggests an exact or near exact position but related group off points or buildings often over several acres like a "central distribution hub"???

and yes a dropped or shortened word can make all the difference
a car used to be a motor car
that used to be a motored carriage
that used to be a horseless carriage
that in turn used to be a horse and carriage

Last edited:
a car used to be a motor car
that used to be a motored carriage
that used to be a horseless carriage
that in turn used to be a horse and carriage

Moped used to mean 'motorised pedal cycle' and they all had pedals, usually to allow them to be pedalled and started. Nowdays, any bike with an engine size of 50cc or less with a top speed not exceeding 29mph is called a moped.

Moped used to mean 'motorised pedal cycle' and they all had pedals, usually to allow them to be pedalled and started. Nowdays, any bike with an engine size of 50cc or less with a top speed not exceeding 29mph is called a moped.
Oh I thought the law said under 50 cc and capable of being propelled by pedals, seem to remember we had a Honda P50 and dad could ride that with a car licence, but when he got the Honda folding bike also 50 cc often called the Monkey bike he had to take a test, which he did, and it then allowed him to ride any size motor cycle.

There was no speed limit although getting more than 40 MPH from a 50 cc was unusual, my mate had his speeding fine pride of place 92 MPH and riding a motor cycle under 50 cc on a motor way, it was a racing one made street legal.

But today we have the e-bike with changing rules, early versions were twist and go, but now can only be pedal assist over 4 MPH up to 4 MPH considered as walk assist and you can have a button to run at up to 4 MPH without pedalling. Also a upper speed limit of 16 MPH at which point assist must stop, and a power limit of 250 watts. I suppose they are the modern moped, the Raleigh Wisp of today.

But returning to central heating the economy 7 storage heater was considered as central heating, which to my mind it never was, they were independent units no different to any other stand alone heater, but if that word has been dropped and it referred to central controlled heating then it could at a stretch it could be included.

My first house was hot air central heating, we called the unit under the stairs a boiler, but it clearly wasn't, there was nothing to boil, built 1970's can you see today a heating unit fitted under wooden stairs? Could not move it as had to connect to ducting.

Second house did not have a thermostatically controlled system, it was a single gas fire connected to a flue brick in the centre of the house, no duct for combustion air so caused draft, and classed as open flue, flue was sealed, but it seems if it draws combustion air from room classed as open flue, so technically should not fit anything to cause a depression in the house, no vented tumble drier, or bathroom extractor, it was an open plan house, so that one fire did heat whole house, 4.7 kW I seem to remember which was not really big enough, but largest at the time that would work with a flue brick, temperature in bedrooms controlled but closing or opening bedroom doors, forget and leave a door open and bedroom far too hot. Never considered it as central heating, but it was a central heater that heated whole house.

We fitted water central heating, never really much good, as the open plan resulted in up stairs rooms over heating, early 80's idea, but when the TRV came out that was a huge improvement stopping bed rooms over heating.

However the problem with the single gas fire in centre of house, was no thermostatic control, you had to manually adjust output, and manually switch on and off, had it had a thermostat and been automatic I may not have fitted central heating, the main advantage was central heating automatically started in the morning warming house before we got out of bed.

Be it the school caretaker lighting the boiler or completely automatic the main point with central heating was control, every radiator had a tap and adjusting the tap allowed room temperatures to be balanced so one man could control temperature of the whole building from one location, even if that location was not central, and as already said centre likely a better word.

But in USA it is not called a boiler, it is called a furnace, likely as they use hot air a lot, and the hot air system I had in North Wales worked well, hot are pumped to every room, which returned through vents in the doors to living room where it was sucked into the heater to be reheated, because it was circulated all rooms controlled by the one thermostat, there were louvred outlet grills which gave a small amount of individually control. But because it circulated air, it also circulated it past the cold single glazed picture windows, and as a result cost a fortune to run. Today with double glazing it may have worked, but not in the 70's. Also made the house very dry.

So it does seem the word central is connected to control, but who knows?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back