Why is my kitchen gully suddenly overflowing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I reached in to try clear any obvious blockage, but all I could retrieve were a few stones at the bottom, I couldn’t feel an actual hole where the water goes out to so I assume it’s set up like photo 2.

I’ve noticed that sometimes the water sits at a constant low level whilst tap is on full blast, sometimes high, and recently on occasion is overflowing.

My kitchen sink has also started making a glug-like noise recently so I thought this was connected but after disconnecting all pipes under the sink for cleaning I found absolutely no blockage from inside, also stuck a snake up the external gully pipe on the wall that leads to my sink and found nothing at all.

Is it a blockage in a nearby manhole? There’s one within a few feet.

Would really appreciate any help anyone can provide.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-04-28 at 13.07.58.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-04-28 at 13.07.58.jpeg
    126.2 KB · Views: 34
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-04-28 at 13.07.10.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-04-28 at 13.07.10.jpeg
    20.2 KB · Views: 27
Sponsored Links
What is the build up on the bottom of the gulley? Looks like either fat or sand and cement. Yes, a partial blockage by the sounds of it. Check the nearby manhole.

What is the build up on the bottom of the gulley? Looks like either fat or sand and cement. Yes, a partial blockage by the sounds of it. Check the nearby manhole.
It seems to be just small bits of gravel/stones, I pulled some out but it wasn't anything large. We don't put any fats or grease down our drain and never have since purchasing this new build 2 years ago, although it could be a hair blockages as the washing machine pump filter gets clogged ever so often. Thanks, I'll open up the closest manhole

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-04-28 at 15.28.40.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-04-28 at 15.28.40.jpeg
    129.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
It seems to be just small bits of gravel/stones, I pulled some out but it wasn't anything large. We don't put any fats or grease down our drain and never have since purchasing this new build 2 years ago, although it could be a hair blockages as the washing machine pump filter gets clogged ever so often. Thanks, I'll open up the closest manhole
I doubt it’s hair.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back