Why is the cold water in some city houses still tank fed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My sister lives in London and i was sure her cistern must be blocked as it was so slow till i realised the bathroom supply was tank fed. Is that just lazyness/cost saving of not wanting to reroute the plumbing? Why in this day and age would anyone not want mains pressure when it's everywhere?

Sponsored Links
Tank feed to bathroom taps is standard in all houses in the UK apart from those built pretty recently.

It’s certainly not just a London thing

Tank feed to bathroom taps is standard in all houses in the UK apart from those built pretty recently.

It’s certainly not just a London thing

No it's not, around here the norm is a mains cold water feed to all cold taps. Our tank only servers as a header for the HW cylinder.

Probably just crap in the inlet valve or wrong insert fitted.

Sponsored Links
Why in this day and age would anyone not want mains pressure when it's everywhere?

Indirect water supplies are still common and are, in fact, still taught today.

upload_2022-2-6_17-10-40.png

very common, if water supply is shut for some reason the bog can still be flushed, with the move to combi boilers this has been done away with , but was the norm back in the day

Plus if cold water is tanked you don't get a neighborhood flow drop when everyone is using water at the same time. Supplier can run distribution network at a lower pressure which has advantages for them.

I live in West London. We lose the water supply 2 or 3 times a year (although it seems to be getting better). With a tank based system we can still wash, make tea and cook so long as the tank supplied water is boiled first. The only thing a higher pressure is needed for is a shower, and a pump takes care of that.

OK I'm rural not urban and have indirect hot water system from the old style tank in roof and vented hot water cylinder.
In the upstairs the pressure from the tank fed hot water is better than the blinking pressure from the cold fed from the mains!

Every now and then the local reservoir pressure maintaining mega-pump fails/trips out or the emergency diesel for it fails to start when there is a power cut (they are regular and getting more regular) and then I get very poor pressure/flow indeed.

So yes as per previous answers a decent sized tank in the loft to tie you over the inevitable failures along with a hot water cylinder are essential in my neck of the woods.

I live in a village, apparently surrounded by decaying water mains. We have "water cuts" several times a year while roads are dug up and mains are repaired. I know this because those of our neighbours who have converted to combi boilers or unvented cylinders post on the neighbourhood Facebook group, asking if everybody else has lost water pressure.

I have a vented cylinder fed from a loft tank (with pumps for the power showers), so I simply don't notice when the water's off. Except for filling the kettle. Which I can do from the hot tap if I have to :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back