Why is this vent under boiler considered wrong?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old IdealMexico boiler running in my hall cupboard. Immediately in front of it (but still inside the cupbaord), there's a vent on the ground that goes to the crawl space under the house that in turn has air bricks to the outside. Above the cupboard door there's a vent on the wall allowing air between the cupboard and hall. There's also another vent lower down on the wall, again allowing air between the cupboard and hall.

One time when the boiler was getting serviced, the engineer told me the vents should be removed and blocked up as 'they don't do it that way anymore.'

Is the config of vents I've described above now considered a safety risk and if yes why? I'm assuming it has something to do with changing regs over the years? (the boiler would have been installed in the mid 80s.)

I quite like the idea of the vent in the ground that leads to the drafty crawl space as, to me, if there was a leak emanating from the boiler, there would be decent air circulation to deal with the escaping gas, no?

Sponsored Links
One time when the boiler was getting serviced, the engineer told me the vents should be removed and blocked up as 'they don't do it that way anymore.
Some Ideal Mexico boilers are natural draught, open flue gas boilers and as such require vents to provide air to the boiler.

The manufactures manual states :-

AIR SUPPLY
Detailed recommendations for air supply are given in BS.5440:2. The following notes are for general guidance: 1. The room or internal space in which the boiler is installed MUST have, or be provided with, a permanent air vent. This vent MUST be either direct to outside air or to an adjacent room or internal space which must itself have, or be provided with, a permanent air vent at least the same size direct to outside air.

its called crossed ventilation . is your boiler room sealed ie flued straight out the back
be unusual to be open vent under stairs .
Vents have nothing to do with helping clear possible gas leakage
they are there for combustion air and cooling in respect of open flued boiler
and cooling regard room sealed

Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
We need to know the specific model of Ideal Mexico you have - the Gas Council (GS xx.xxx.xx) number would be good.

Some of them require specific sizes of air vents and take the combustion air from the same or adjacent space of the boiler but as suggested it would be unusual to have an open flued model under the stairs. Even if it is room sealed, it will probably still need specific sized vents top and bottom of the door, for cooling.

Reactions: CBW
Thanks all. It looks like a Slimline RS55 although can't say 100%. The flue goes directly to ceiling then vented out of the roof.

Yeah I get the fact the vents aren't there in case of leaks, however I quite like them being there in case there was a leak, specifically the one on the floor that leads to the airy crawl space.

Last edited:
If you post a pic of the boiler and the front controls and the visible flue if possible.
I'm not going to take the panel off cause knowing my luck the boiler will shut down! Anyways, here's some pics. Ignore the tape around the flue entry into loft. I did that years back to stop wasps.

Note, I'm not querying whether the flue etc is installed correctly. This has all been checked a few times as part of previous services. I was just wondering if the historic vent setup is now considered a no no. Cheers.

boiler 03.jpg

boiler 01.jpg

boiler 02.jpg

Thats a mexico cf
rs donates room sealed .
Your boiler is classed at Risk because of the ventilation configuration and they should advise you not to use it and turn it off with your permission .
Under stairs i hope you have fire proof sheeting lining stair case and door

Thats a mexico cf
rs donates room sealed .
Your boiler is classed at Risk because of the ventilation configuration and they should advise you not to use it and turn it off with your permission .
Under stairs i hope you have fire proof sheeting lining stair case and door
It's not under stairs, it's a floor to ceiling cupboard.

So, in terms of all the existing vents (one in the floor, two in the wall that vent to/from the hall) which of them should now be blocked off?

It's not under stairs, it's a floor to ceiling cupboard.

So, in terms of all the existing vents (one in the floor, two in the wall that vent to/from the hall) which of them should now be blocked off?
close the floor vent ,
to make it legal vent sizes on page 3 then a vent in your hall to outside

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back