Why make your Profile private?

OK fair play, now we're getting somewhere, that's the kind of answer I'm looking for, anyone else who cares to contribute to this thread take note!

Sponsored Links
I've worked in an industry, where you are not allowed to tell your Family and Friends what you do, OK it was security, as you might be kidnapped, or Tiger kidnapped as it is known as, if people know too much about you, and can build a profile. So people in positions of trust, might like to hide their details. But by hiding their details singles them out for more attention? Or does it?

Would you also like us to put our DOB, bank details and other personal info in our profile too?

The more that the scammers can find out the more they can scam us.
Identity theft is real and not to be taken lightly so you should protect your personal information.

This is a public forum, we should not need to let the public know things that they do not need to know.

I do think that some of you miss a few points about this site.

1. You don't have to put anything that would steal your identity.
2. The photo's don't have to be of people. There are sites for that.
3. This is a really good site for DIY related topics and I believe the
Photo Albums where meant to be for that. Not a Family Album, but for your projects or interests.
4. It's a really good way to advertise your business if you want to.
5. I guess there are some other reasons as well. You figure it out.

Sponsored Links
Would you also like us to put our DOB, bank details and other personal info in our profile too?

The more that the scammers can find out the more they can scam us.
Identity theft is real and not to be taken lightly so you should protect your personal information.

This is a public forum, we should not need to let the public know things that they do not need to know.
wreckedit has summarised it well, if you store sensitive information on your profile, then what is the point? Apart from maybe for the privileged few friends you may have on here? I have an email in my profile and is used purely as my Forum contact email, hardly leaving me widely exposed to scammers and other fraudsters. I've received two scam emails since I joined the site which were entirely obvious. I think you'd have to be pretty naive to have anything real sensitive in your profile whether it was private or otherwise, if the Royal Navy website can be hacked for example are you that naive that you think checking the private box would protect you on here?

My user name is my website name (except the 2010)
I have nothing to hide, if I get work from this site then it's free advertising. :D Happy Days!

Andy

Back