Why more than 1 drain?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why do my 3 down stairs radiators each have a drain off?
I thought to drain entire system i would undo the drain off at the boiler and one radiator.
Or do i drain via..... Boiler drain off and all 3 radiator drain offs?

Sponsored Links
Do each of your radiators have separate sets of flow and return pipes dropping down to them? If so, each will need a drain point. If they are all on the same drop, its overkill and opening one drain point should drain them all.

In the new extension, the pipes hidden so cant see it, i know one thing, when i drained the kitchen rad from the drain point, the other 2 with the drain points still had water in them, how i know that is, when i filled the boiler with water via the loop, i went to bleed all the rads and the 2 rads with the drain points didn't need bleeding, soon as i opened the bleed screw, water came straight out, all other rads, had air.

Oh, i want drain full system, once i add fernox cleaner, do i open all 3 drain points and also the drain point on the boiler too?

Sponsored Links
I have 3 radiators downstairs, all have drains but because they are piped upwards into the ceiling which makes sense. For most jobs I only ever drain from one because the rest of the system is upstairs and that is sufficient. In 10 years I`ve only ever drained all three once, and that was because all 3 drain valves were leaking......Cue new carpet!

You'll need to drain all 3 separately. Depends on the boiler position as to whether that needs draining too. I would probably leave the boiler drain point alone. Add the cleaner and circulate for required time, drain via rad drain offs. Refill and circulate then drain again. Refill with inhibitor added. If using a more aggressive cleaner such as X800, do an extra fill and drain, possibly 2 extra.

Makes sense.... Mine all with drain points go up into the ceiling.
So if im putting a cleaner in, im best opening all 3 then, just to make sure all cleaner is drained as it will be in the system.

Can you confirm on draining, i need to open the drain point on the boiler pipe too??

Makes sense.... Mine all with drain points go up into the ceiling.
So if im putting a cleaner in, im best opening all 3 then, just to make sure all cleaner is drained as it will be in the system.

Can you confirm on draining, i need to open the drain point on the boiler pipe too??
As long as you can get the treatment in, it will circulate. I never touch the drain points on my boiler, never needed to. Just for info, my boiler is in the kitchen, and is the heat only type, not a combi, but that should make no difference to you

Fernox cleaner im going use.

I was a bit concerned if i needed to drain via boiler too, so thanks for that... Easier if i don't need worry about draining from boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back