Why not wireless?

Really? Wow thanks for clearing that up. For a while there I was wasting my time actually troubleshooting interference problems but the problems must just be imaginary.

dont use old scantronic kit then - simply do a site survey before hand but no we`ve never had interferance problems, more likely just a bad install on your part

Sponsored Links
Really? Wow thanks for clearing that up. For a while there I was wasting my time actually troubleshooting interference problems but the problems must just be imaginary.
No one says you don't have a problem. But that does not mean all radio kit is problematic.

I never said it was particularly problematic. I had a wireless alarm at my last house and never had a bit of bother with it . I was merely offering a piece of advice that most sheltered housing complexes use a lot of rf gear in the various unlicensed bands of varying ages that can sometimes cause false alarms, and if you live right next to one a wired solution would probably be better. I dont see what your problem is.
I was referring to the scantronic gear because the scantronic comm care sensors work on the same frequency and hardware ID range as some of their security kit, and a lot of the older schemes use the older scantronic gear but cant upgrade at the drop of a hat as upgrading a whole site can potentially cost tens of thousands.
Tell me where did I say all radio kit was problematic? And whats with the attitude? Did I offend you in some way by daring to share a piece of experience on a forum?

You stated there was a good chance of problems with wireless kit. You followed this up by inferring you have had problems. Your situation has little to no bearing on any other situation. As the advice posted earlier suggested, do a site survey first.

Sponsored Links
I never said there was a good chance of problems with wireless kit in general, I gave one specific example of when problems were likely in the hope that it might help someone avoid problems and wasted money. What part of that dont you understand? Do you think I`m bashing wireless security systems just because I gave one example of a site they might not be suitable? Sometimes the sensors might have the same id, some wireless alarm panels can be susceptible to interference from the high power paging transmitters. It`ll only affect a few people but it`s something to keep in mind, as a few people have spent a while trying to figure out why they`re getting false alarms. What is your problem with me sharing this information? Do you dispute it`s true?
What a warm welcome to the diynot forum. I wish I`d just stuck to lurking now.

on the strength of that opening post it might have been a better move

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back