Why would a JG fitting fail after 6 months?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I noticed our boiler pressure started dropping and traced it to a leaky John Guest elbow fitting. It looked like it had almost completely unscrewed itself with the pipe still fully inserted. It has been fine since installation 6 months ago.

I took it apart, inspected it, put it back together and reconnected.

I’m worried because I couldn’t find anything wrong with it and concerned it may fail in another 6 months (Nice clean cut plastic pipe, fully inserted, pipe insert etc)

What could be the cause?

thank you

Sponsored Links
If it leaked you should ideally re cut it, making sure it's exactly perpendicular.

Also give it a pull test to see if it did securely meet.

Possible that it's a knock off JG fitting?

Given it's a mechanical fitting then unlikely it has unscrewed itself unless the pipe was under stress/pressure due to it being at an angle, on a bend, not properly clipped etc. Or if the pipe/insert and fitting aren't matched. JG are usually pretty good.

If you're worried then you can get collets that will 'lock' the fitting once it's tightened.
th

the pipe was under stress/pressure due to it being at an angle,
It is on a angle/bend (bottom pipe in pic). Maybe the clip is too close to the fitting? I will get some collets.
thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20210325_093304351.jpg
    IMG_20210325_093304351.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 125
Sponsored Links
The pipe setting out could have been the issue, especially if the pipe twists. You wouldn't normally use copper saddle clips like that with plastic pipe as they have the potential to cut the pipe if it's under pressure.

See it all the time with copper pipe and the copper clips are used to clip the pipe tight to a wall but clipped pipe should really be raised off of the clipping surface. Saddle clips come with bases that should be used but invariably aren't.

th

Ok thanks for the info. I'll have another look and maybe add another elbow to remove the bend
Cheers

Thats not JG tube either- make sure you're using the proper inserts for that tube (OD of all of them will be 15mm, ID varies).
Also check you've pushed the tube all the way in (25mm. JG tube has marks so you can see as well as feel).

The universal will be fine with the correct inserts & pushed in all the way. It seems to be much stiffer than jg, bit of a mare to get it straight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back