why would the pump fail?????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Any reasons why the central heating pump would fail? Other than age...It a newish system.
Your pump goes and makes a mess of your house...you claim your insurance but they fail to pay out without knowing WHY the pump failed!!!!
I'm telling you...these folk try to get out of paying EVERY time!
:evil: (my insurance man!)

Sponsored Links
Most likely cause of premature breakdown is failure to protect system with inhibitor.

Why should a failing pump make a mess of your house?

I dunno what happened but heating went on at 6 and we were wakened by dripping noises...when we investigated downstairs, water was running down the wall.
When we checked the pump..water was flowing out of it...from where the 1,2,3 switch is...made a right mess!

Sponsored Links
oh..forgot to mention....I put inhibitor in regularly and had recently drained down the system (January) to remove sludge build-up. Haven't done anything different this time from any other time :confused:

I think the insurance company :evil: are looking for a reason for failure as they said they wouldn't pay out unless it was "accidental damage" as the pump failing couldn't justify them paying out!...robbing gits!

They won't pay for the pump but they should for the consequential loss.

Which way up was the pump? I mean was the bit with the switch on top, side or below? How old is the pump & what make is it, btw?

it was a gold 50...now been replaced with a gold 60....the water ran into the y plan valve and that stopped working too...so had to have that replaced..it was about 3 - 4 yrs old...relatively new i'm told...especially when we were previously in a house with the same pump for over 10yrs!
I knew they wouldn't pay out for the pump...but what about the y-valve and the labour???? that cost me a few bob!

oooh....switch was on the bottom...pump looked as if it were upside down

Ah, Wilo pumps can wear out in 6 months if theres any black stuff goin round.
And yes it does matter which way up they go. I've never been too happy about why, but it's true.

I think you'll have a hard time claiming on part of a heating system, though I have seen a successful claim on a boiler which caught fire. They "shouldn't do that" I suppose. This one did!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back