Third central heating pump in 5 years!

It's facing to much upwards, it should be more or less horizontal.

Sponsored Links
From your Grundfos extract the new instalation ie the pic Ive attached is correct. The silver vent screw is facing upwards slightly. Do you agree?
I wouldn't call that slightly above horizontal. Ideally the shaft should be exactly horizontal, but one or two degrees above is better than one or two degrees below.

Also the electrical connection box should be on the top, away from any possible water leak. The pump will have to be "split" in two and the front half rotated 180° so the direction of flow stays the same.

Perfect I get all that and have watched a video on u tube on how to split this exact pump so I should manage that.

If I slacken the larger pump valve nuts will I be able to rotate the whole pump or will I have to slacken the compression fittings to the 15mm pipe? Hopefully not so I dont have to drain the system?

Will the pump need to be rotated 180 degrees? If the body is left as is between the pump valves is this not what determines flow direction? The impeller is simply rotating in the same direction whatever way you orient the electrical connection. I could have the electrical box to the left couldnt I?

You could have the electric box where you like but good plumbers always turn then so they are on the top.

If the pumps on the way out anyway you may as well leave the electric box where it is,

Sponsored Links
Ok I will take Hailshams advice though and put it to the top for good practice. Im just trying to understand all this.

What about rotating it to the horizontal then, should slackening the pump valve connections allow me to do this without drainging the system. Gate valves are only 3 months old?

Yes turn the valves off and slacken the two big nut just enough so the pump rotates.

Too rotate the head you need to undo the 4 set screws.

one final question. The pump is too hot for me to hold my hand on it. Is this normal. Could gunk any corrosion etc bonded to the pump make it run hot?

I effectivly had a new system fiited boiler etc and because this pump had been replaced by the previous owners for the third time only about 12 months before we moved in I assumed it should be ok to use again in our new system.

Ive just had the silver screw out and there is no air. But there was a really loud air lock type graoning noise last night that woke us up, this had never happened before. Our boiler keeps showing a fault code which say 'no flow' so I dont know if the pump is running hot then stopping? or if the boiler isnt right and its switching the pump off, boiler is 3 months old.

the pump used to sit on its back, the big silver screw and Grundfos face palte with all the spec facing the sky.

Are you really unable to read the pump installation instructions ? And you think its not necessary to post a picture which would immediately show us why the pumps are failing.

Of course its a common trick for cowboys to install something wrongly for old people knowing it will fail soon!

Tony

Agile, I dont have pump instructions and didnt post a pic because it would have caused confusion. The system has for years had the pump under the floor and theyve been replacing the pumps. Ive been here 10 months got rid of the crap Rayburn and had a new boiler put in, the pic I did eventually post is the new set up. The pump was used in the old set up though for about a year, so if my pump has gone after 3 months of the new set up i presumed it was more to do with the old set up where I know theyve kept replacing pumps.

one final question. The pump is too hot for me to hold my hand on it. Is this normal. Could gunk any corrosion etc bonded to the pump make it run hot?

I effectivly had a new system fiited boiler etc and because this pump had been replaced by the previous owners for the third time only about 12 months before we moved in I assumed it should be ok to use again in our new system.

Ive just had the silver screw out and there is no air. But there was a really loud air lock type graoning noise last night that woke us up, this had never happened before. Our boiler keeps showing a fault code which say 'no flow' so I dont know if the pump is running hot then stopping? or if the boiler isnt right and its switching the pump off, boiler is 3 months old.

The pump is cooled by the water.

If its way too hot to touch then its seized !

See the FAQ on this site for how to possibly get it going.

Tony

The pump is cooled by the water.

If its way too hot to touch then its seized !

See the FAQ on this site for how to possibly get it going.

Tony

Is there anything in the FAQs on circulation pumps Tony??
By the way, what ever happened to ChrisR??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back